Being married to a chef is an adventure. My husband and I have been together for more than 6 years and he has been a professional chef for more than 20 years. He has worked in restaurants in both Florida and Mississippi in environs from a Caribbean restaurant to a fine dining restaurant to a corporate restaurant as a manager. He is currently a sous chef in one of the better fine dining restaurants in Hattiesburg, MS. The experience of being married to him has been amazing. Of course, there are downsides to it as well, but that is another story! For anyone who has ever wanted to know what it is like, here is my top 10 list for why I love being married to a chef.
1. When he cooks, it is like getting a gourmet meal at a restaurant… without the expense! I have eaten more exotic foods and interesting combinations since we have been together then I ever ate in my life before. It is a food adventure!
2. When I cook, he wants home cooking. His favorite meal is meatloaf! Chefs get tired of always being around fancy food. Sometimes they just want the basics.
3. If I have a question about an ingredient for a recipe or a cooking technique… he is a walking encyclopedia. All I do is ask him, instead of having to look it up.
4. Prep goes really fast when he is home to help! All I do is mention I need to chop something up, I turn around and when I turn back he has chopped 10 pounds of potatoes in 5 minutes. He is a living, breathing food processor!
5. Chefs tend to be very hard workers. And they play hard, too! A 12 hour shift is normal in most professional kitchens. I never have to worry about him being unwilling to bring home the bacon. He will also very rarely be out of work because restaurants will always be around.
6. He is willing to teach me how to cook anything. And, because he is used to teaching new cooks, his instructions are much easier to understand and follow than most cook books.
7. Watching him cook is like seeing a beautiful dance. A professional kitchen is choreographed and amazing.
8. I learn new curse words and insults every time I visit him at work. People who work in kitchens are hilarious!
9. Holidays are never boring. There is always a new line cook in need of a home to visit for holidays. Or even just for Sunday dinner. You meet the most interesting people in kitchens and restaurants. And half of them really need a home cooked meal!
10. He has talented and dexterous fingers. ‘Nuff said!