Love is in the air because it is almost Valentine’s Day and there are many images that come to mind when thinking about Valentine’s Day. We might think about romance, chocolate, couples, marriages, and engagements. In addition, to all of those Valentine’s Day imagines we might think about romantic movies on Valentine’s Day. After all, romantic movies make us think of love and finding that special person. In fact, sometimes two people can fall in love with each other while watching a romantic movie. Also, many couples like to go to dinner and to a romantic movie on Valentine’s Day. I love romantic movies so here is my list of 10 romantic movies for Valentine’s Day.
1. Notting Hill: This romantic movie is set in England and stars Hugh Grant who plays a travel book shop owner and he falls in love with Anna Scott who is the biggest movie star in the world. Anna Scott is played by Julia Roberts. This movie is perfect for Valentine’s Day because it is a love story between regular guy and a movie star and it works out between them. This movie makes my list because I love England, Hugh Grant, Julia Roberts, and stories that make us root for the couple.
2. Sleepless in Seattle: This romantic movie stars Tom Hanks as Sam, a lonely widow who lives in Seattle with his Jonah. Jonah calls into a radio station so his dad can fall in love again Meg Ryan plays Annie. She falls in love with Sam while listening to him on the radio. Annie decides to meet Sam in New York City at the top of the Empire State Building. Sam, Annie, and Jonah met in New York and all ends well. This is a great movie for Valentines Day because it deals with love, loss, and finding love again.
3. Lucky Seven: Kimberly Williams Paisley stars as Amy Myer who is a lawyer who has spent her life following a very specific life plan that was laid out by her dying mom when Amy was 7. This includes Amy’s love life. Amy falls in love with Daniel but he is only boyfriend number six and her mom told her that she will marry boyfriend number seven. So, Amy goes on a date with her friend Peter making him boyfriend number 6 so that she can marry Daniel. However, things get complicated when Amy realizes that she is falling for Peter. This movie is a great Valentines Day movie because it is a romantic movie that tells us that we choose who we love not some life plan.
4. Pretty Woman: This is a modern Cinderella story. Julia Roberts plays Vivian a hooker with a loving heart and Richard Gere plays Edward a career minded business man who ends up meeting Vivian and needing her to spend a week with him so he doesn’t end up with any romantic issues. The problem is that both Vivian and Edward fall in love with each other. Pretty Woman is good Valentine’s Day movie because who wouldn’t want to be treated like Cinderella and be swept off her feet. This romantic movie shows that love can come to us in unconventional ways.
5. Splash: This romantic movie is a fish out of water story literally. Allen falls in love with Madison but Madison is a mermaid. This is a good Valentines Day movie because Splash is funny, touching, and romantic. It also shows that love can show up when we least expect it.
6. Cinderella: This is a romantic movie about a dysfunctional family, mice, a glass slipper, and a fairy godmother. This is a wonderful and magical movie for Valentine’s Day because it is about magic, dreams, and a pumpkin, and a real prince that sweeps Cinderella off her feet. Also finding love can mean living happily ever after.
7. Lady and the Tramp: This is another Disney movie which is a perfect Valentine’s Day movie because it is about two dogs falling in love. These dogs also come from different worlds; Lady is a pedigree and Tramp is a mutt. Also, I put this movie on the list because it has one of the most romantic scenes that I have ever seen which was the two dogs sharing a plate of spaghetti and kissing when they eat the same noodle.
8. The Princess Diaries: A regular girl from San Francisco finds out that she is a princess. This is a good Valentine’s Day movie because many women want their men to treat them like a princess on Valentine’s Day.
9. 27 Dresses: This romantic movie centers on a woman who has been a bridesmaid 27 times but never has been a bride. This is a good Valentines Day movie because it is fun and funny to see how the woman finds and marries her true love.
10. Borrowed Hearts: This romantic movie is about a lonely business man who needs to rent a family to complete a business deal. However, in the course of pretending to be a family they actually become a family and fall in love with each other. This movie is on my list because it shows how fantasy can become a reality. In addition, even though this is a movie set in Christmas time, it works for Valentine’s Day too.