Everybody knows Valentine’s Day is a time to plan something special with the one you love. For lovers residing in Montgomery, Alabama there are quite a few ways to make the day special. If you live in or plan on being in Montgomery when Valentine’s Day arrives, here are ten ideas that will help set the proper mood.
* Book a romantic dinner for two. Several locally owned restaurants offer Valentine’s Day packages that include champagne, chocolates, and your choice of entrée. Candlelight and soft music add to the ambiance and help to set the stage for the rest of the evening.
* Take a ride on the riverboat. Special Valentine’s Day cruises make it possible for couples to enjoy a couple of hours on the waters of the Alabama River. Champagne and chamber music couple with the gentle movement of the boat and a canopy of stars to make the event a memorable way to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
* See the stars up close. Oak Park Planetarium is available for couples who want to do a little stargazing. Located in the midtown district, Oak Park is located on Forest Avenue just off Interstate 85.
* Dress up and see a musical. The Alabama Shakespeare Festival in east Montgomery offers live musical presentations that are sure to please. Tickets must be reserved in advance.
* Enjoy a classic movie. The Renaissance Theater located in the downtown area, runs movie classics produced during the Golden Age of Hollywood. Romantic classics show each evening the week of Valentine’s Day.
* Take in something a little different. If a movie sounds good but classics and the current big name movies aren’t what you have in mind, check out the Capri Theater in old Cloverdale. The Capri runs independent and foreign films, making it an ideal option to get out of the usual Valentine’s Day rut. Linger over coffee afterwards at Café Louisa across the street, or walk down the block to 1048 and enjoy music, dancing, and some of the best mixed drinks in the city.
* Stay at a luxury hotel. Several of Montgomery’s finer hotels offer special Valentine’s Day packages especially designed to promote romance. Along with beautiful accommodations, a romantic dinner for two is prepared and set up in the suite. Late check out services the following day are available.
* Listen to some cool jazz. Get a table at Sous La Terre Downtown Underground, located on Commerce Street. Stay late and listen to jam sessions by local musicians as they begin to drift into the club during the early hours of the morning.
* Go to a benefit. The Davis Theater, a restored vaudeville movie house located downtown on Montgomery Street, is often the site of benefit concerts and shows on and around Valentine’s Day. The benefits are sponsored by local charities and the funds collected go to assist people living in the River Region.
* Keep it simple. Instead of going out, arrange for a romantic setting at home. Several local catering services will prepare an intimate dinner for two, set it up in your dining room, on the patio, or any other place around the house you want. Servers will present each course of the dinner, then discreetly withdraw so the two of you can continue your Valentine’s Day celebration in private.
It doesn’t matter if you are old or young, beginning a new relationship or been together for thirty years. There are plenty of ways to make Valentine’s Day memorable if you live in Montgomery or the River Region. Why not start planning something special for your lover today?