Now that we are in a credit crunch/recession it is even more crucial to save every cent or penny you can get your hands on, especially when it comes time to Christmas, probably one of the most expensive and costly times of the year.
The ideas and guidance provided below will help you save some hard earned money, this list is not exhaustive and it is not boring, I think you will find it is a lot more fun shopping for Christmas meals, presents and so on when you are on a budget, go on try it, what have you got to lose.
1. Send and give unwanted gifts that you have received over the year or perhaps even at Christmas.
2. Buy products from the tree to gifts in the sales, for example buy products in the new years sale and keep them for Christmas.
3. Use coupons and money off vouchers that you can find on the internet and in your local press and media.
4. Save any gift paper you receive and reuse it to wrap your presents.
5. Send eCards instead of physical paper cards, this will save you money on buying the cards and money on postage.
6. Buy, buy one get one free (bogof) products and gifts so you get two presents for the price of one.
7. Make and sell your own Christmas decorations, don’t give money to the million dollar companies, make it a family event and make decorations yourself or with some friends or family, you will have fun and save money at the same time.
8. Buy an give gifts on boxing day, or the day after Christmas day, instead of on the day itself, this way you can go shopping on boxing day, buy the products that are now 50% cheaper than they were 24 hours ago and everyone is happy, people get what they want and you get to save even more money.
9. Start saving a little bit of money each week or each month to pay for the cost of Christmas, keep this money in a separate account don’t touch it all year, until Christmas comes then spend it wisely.
10. Create a budget of what you have to spend and do go over budget on non essentials.
11. Get people over for Christmas dinner and get them to bring over food, that way you can save on the cost of food, have family and friends close by, and have fun all at the same time.
12. Only buy one gift for people, don’t go mad and buy people gadgets and gizmos that are just novelty items that they wont use, need or benefit from, theses somewhat useless gifts will just get put to the back of a cupboard after Christmas.
Good luck. I wish you every success. Have a happy and merry christmas