Nevada vs. Maryland
Trivia Question- What school finished second in the country in rushing with 294.7 yards per game? If you’re a football fanatic you know Nevada is the correct answer and they have a QB named quarterback Colin Kaepernick who ran for 1,000 yards and threw for over 2,400. The Wolf Pack is 12-3 ATS off one or more straight Overs. Maryland was more unstable than patient on Celebrity Rehab. The Terps were 7-4 ATS if you bet against the role they are placed. Maryland stunk it up late, but is 6-0 ATS off a road loss over the last two seasons. Both Nevada and Maryland are bad bowl bets at 1-4 and 5-8-1 ATS respectively. Expect the Wolf Pack to have more urgency and they play better run defense.
Recent NEVADA Bowl Trends
* * NEVADA is on a 1-4 ATS slide in bowl games.
* Underdogs have been the correct side in three of L4 NEVADA bowl games.
* As a bowl game favorite or pick em’, NEVADA is 2-1 SU but 0-3 ATS.
Recent MARYLAND Bowl Trends
* MARYLAND is 3-1 SU & ATS in its L4 bowl games.
* MARYLAND has allowed just 38 points in its L4 bowl games.
* The UNDER has converted in four straight MARYLAND bowl games.
Prediction: Maryland 41, Nevada 28
Western Michigan vs. Rice
With two top 10 passing offenses and two shaky pass defenses, points will not be an issue in the Texas Bowl. Why bother to view this contest? Rice QB Chase Clement and receiver Jarett Dillard have more touchdown connections than any duo in NCAA history. Also, Western Michigan QB Tim Hiller has
thrown for 3,527 yards and 34 touchdowns and has favorite target in WR Jamarko Simmons. There seems to be little reason not to believe the total won’t go Over. The Broncos are 8-1 OVER as an underdog and 10-2 OVER in non-conference games. Rice is 8-1 OVER after a playing a game where 80 total points or more were scored and 10-1 OVER off a cover. The Owls 8-2 ATS when the total is 63 or more points.
Recent WESTERN MICHIGAN Bowl Trends
* W MICHIGAN is the only team in ’08 with bowl experience to have never won.
* W MICHIGAN won ATS in its only prior lined bowl game.
* W MICHIGAN’s first totaled bowl game went OVER.
Recent RICE Bowl Trends
* RICE is on a 4-bowl game losing streak, dating back to ’57.
* RICE has scored just 37 points in its L4 bowl games.
* RICE is 0-1 ATS in lined bowl games, losing to TROY ST in ’06 as favorite.
Prediction: Western Michigan 34, Rice 33
Oklahoma State vs. Oregon
Oklahoma State may be favored, but one of the most dangerous offenses in the country this side of Norman invades San Diego. The Oregon Ducks are averaging 45 points per game in last five, with a running game totaling 281.6 YPG during the same period. The Ducks are 11-3 ATS after leading by 14 or more points at the half in two straight games. Oklahoma State’s only fault this season was being in wrong division. Like Oregon, these Cowboys will want to run and are 21-8 ATS when they rush for 200 to 250 yards. Oklahoma State is among your better bowl teams to play with 12-6 record and sporting outstanding 7-1-1 ATS mark as favorite. The Ducks are 5-3 ATS as dogs and 6-5 ATS under coach Bellotti.
Recent OREGON Bowl Trends
* OREGON is 5-1 ATS as a bowl game underdog since ’99.
* Underdogs have dominated OREGON bowl games, 7-2 SU & 8-1 ATS in L9.
* Four of L6 OREGON bowl games have been decided by 21 points or more.
Recent OKLAHOMA ST Bowl Trends
* OKLAHOMA ST is 5-3 SU & 4-2-2 ATS in its L8 bowl games.
* As a bowl game favorite, OKLAHOMA ST is 3-1-1 ATS in its L5 chances.
* OKLAHOMA ST is 12-6 in bowl games, at 67%, the best winning % in the Big 12.
Prediction: Oklahoma State 40, Oregon 37
Armed Forces Bowl
Air Force vs. Houston
This bowl contest is a marvelous matchup in contrast in styles. Air Force uses the option ground game to rack up 268.9 yards per game and Houston prefers spread attack with the pass in totaling 413.5 YPG. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Falcons, being one of the youngest teams in the country. They exceeded expectations with 8-4 and 7-4 ATS record and are 13-4 ATS in road games with two or more weeks off. Houston’s defense cost them C-USA title shot and they are only 4-13
ATS after allowing 50 or more points. Air Force may be just 8-9-1 in bowls; nevertheless a 10-5 ATS record makes them attractive potential play. Houston is 6-6 ATS in a dozen tries in the postseason.
Recent AIR FORCE Bowl Trends
* Air Force is 3-1 ATS in its L4 bowl games
* Three of L4 Air Force bowl games have gone OVER the total.
* Air Force defense has yielded 36.2 PPG in L6 bowl games.
Recent HOUSTON Bowl Trends
* HOUSTON hasn’t won a bowl game since ’80, going 0-8 SU & 2-6 ATS.
* HOUSTON’s defense has allowed 37.4 PPG in its L8 bowl games.
* The favorite is 8-1 SU & 6-3 ATS in HOUSTON’s prior 9 bowl games.
Prediction: Houston 33, Air Force 27
Pittsburgh vs. Oregon State
The Sun Bowl was able to secure two Top 25 teams and has one of the better non-BCS matchups. If freshman Jacquizz Rodgers is healthy for Oregon State, this will set up a hookup between two of the nation’s most exciting running backs. Pittsburgh’s LeSean McCoy is sensational and totaled 21 TD’s. Both squads overcame slow starts to finish strong. The Panthers closed 4-1 SU and ATS, but were sloppy with the ball and are 3-16 ATS after consecutive games committing 3 or more turnovers. The Beavers were a busy 8-2 ATS after losing first two, and are 8-0 ATS after covering the spread in 2 of last 3 games. Oregon State is on 4-0 and 3-1 in recent bowls, Pitt plays in one for first time since 2002.
Recent PITTSBURGH Bowl Trends
* PITTSBURGH last met Oregon State in ’02 Insight Bowl, winning 38-13.
* The L2 PITTSBURGH bowl games have gone UNDER the total by 20.0 PPG.
* PITTSBURGH is 3-2 SU & ATS in L5 bowl games vs. fellow BCS leagues.
Recent OREGON ST Bowl Trends
* OREGON ST boasts a 4-game SU bowl game winning streak, all as favorite.
* The OVER is 4-1 in OREGON ST’s L5 totaled bowl games.
* OREGON ST continues a trend of never having been a bowl game underdog.
Prediction: Pittsburgh 31, Oregon State 28
Music City Bowl
Boston College vs. Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt waited 26 years to play first bowl game and they don’t even get to leave Nashville playing in Music City bowl. The Commodores come in among the coldest bowl teams, losing six of last seven encounters. The offense caused this to happen, finishing 117th in total yards. Vandy is 22-7 ATS away from home after playing their last game on the road. Boston College suffered a second straight ACC title game defeat and motivation will come into question. With two defensive teams, this conflict could go Under. B.C. 22-9 UNDER on the road after ATS loss and Vanderbilt is 17-6 UNDER in all games over the last 2 seasons. The Eagles had reeled off nine bowl covers in a row before losing last two.
Recent BOSTON COLLEGE Bowl Trends
* Boston College has won 8 straight bowl games SU, going 6-2 ATS.
* On totals, the OVER is on a 4-2 run in Boston College bowl games.
* Boston College is 4-2 ATS in L6 as bowl game favorite, but 0-2 ATS in L2.
Recent VANDERBILT Bowl Trends
* VANDERBILT is playing in its first postseason game since ’82.
* VANDERBILT has not won a bowl game outright in 53 years.
* VANDERBILT lost its only lined bowl game as a 9-point favorite, both SU & ATS
Prediction: Boston College 24, Vanderbilt 17
Minnesota vs. Kansas
Though Minnesota finished with four straight losses, this bowl experience should be cherished after 1-10 2007 campaign. The Golden Gophers have real deficiencies in the offensive line and are 3-12 ATS after gaining 125 or less rushing yards in four straight games. Minnesota was 81st in points scored and figures to have to do better against potent Kansas offense. Possibly the defense can get after talented Kansas QB Todd Reesing, who was sacked frequently (92nd overall) in 2008. The Jayhawks schedule was tougher and the talent not quite as good, however the upset of rival Missouri had to be satisfying. Kansas is 17-6 ATS in all lined games over the last two years and 12-3 ATS as chalk.
Recent MINNESOTA Bowl Trends
* The underdog is 5-4 SU & 7-2 ATS in MINNESOTA’s L9 bowl games.
* The L4 MINNESOTA bowl games have been decided by four points or less.
* MINNESOTA is 3-1 ATS in its L4 bowl games as an underdog.
Recent KANSAS Bowl Trends
* KANSAS has never played a bowl game vs. a Big Ten conference team.
* KANSAS is 4-1 SU & ATS in its L5 bowl games.
* On totals, the OVER is 3-1 in the L4 bowl games.
Prediction: Kansas 38, Minnesota 20
LSU vs. Georgia Tech
Nobody would have expected the final records of these two clubs, heading into this bowl matchup. The thought of LSU allowing 30 or more points in half their games in ridiculous, yet it occurred. The Tigers were the first consensus national champion since Ohio State in 1943 to follow their national title with a losing conference record and are 2-10 ATS when playing against a team with a winning record. The wisdom in hiring Paul Johnson to run option offense with the speed of ACC players was questioned, yet Georgia Tech led the league in total offense. The Yellow Jackets were 8-2 ATS this season and are 7-0 ATS off a close road win by 3 points or less. LSU is 4-1 SU and ATS in last 5 bowls.
Recent LSU Bowl Trends
* LSU is on a nice run of 9-2 SU & 8-3 ATS in bowl games.
* OVER the total is 5-2 in LSU’s L7 bowl games.
* As a bowl game underdog, LSU is 3-1 SU & ATS in its L4 chances.
Recent GEORGIA TECH Bowl Trends
* GEORGIA TECH has gone OVER the total in six straight bowl games.
* The underdog is 5-3 SU & 6-2 ATS in GEORGIA TECH’s L8 bowl games.
* GEORGIA TECH is 2-4 SU & ATS in its L6 bowl games when favored.
Prediction: Georgia Tech 34, LSU 24
Iowa vs. South Carolina
More than one eyebrow was raised when this contest was announced to start the New Year’s Day bowl festivities. This makes this a more compelling meeting for each, looking to erase doubts. Iowa started 3-3, with three defeats by 9 points. The Hawkeyes put it together, culminating in an upset of Penn State. After 55-0 drubbing of Minnesota, Iowa is 17-5 ATS after a game committing no turnovers. The vaunted South Carolina defense caved in for 87 points in last two losses, with zero help from offense. With Iowa solid defensively, surprisingly the Gamecocks are 5-1 ATS vs teams who give up 14 or less PPG. The Hawkeyes are meager 2-6 ATS as bowl favorite, with USC having won SU & ATS in its last three bowl chances as dogs.
Recent IOWA Bowl Trends
* Underdog has dominated IOWA bowl games, 7-2 SU & 8-1 ATS in L9.
* IOWA is 2-1 SU & ATS in bowl games vs. SEC since ’04.
* IOWA is 0-2 SU & ATS in L2 chances as a bowl game favorite
Recent SOUTH CAROLINA Bowl Trends
* S CAROLINA is on a 4-1 SU & ATS stretch in bowl games.
* As a bowl game underdog, S CAROLINA is 3-0 SU & ATS since ’95.
* OVER’s have been the result on totals in four of L5 S CAROLINA bowl games.
Prediction: Iowa 24, South Carolina 20
Clemson vs. Nebraska
Clemson University rewarded Dabo Swinney with head coaching position, for making the best of difficult situation and guiding the Tigers to 3 wins to close the season. Clemson finally lived up to preseason hype, with defense that was ranked 15th overall. They will be called on again against high-powered Nebraska offense that scores 36.2 PPG. The Tigers are 0-6 ATS allowing 28 or more points. The Cornhuskers made strides to return to the past with 8 wins this season. Nebraska is a ball hog on offense, holding it for over 33 minutes a game. The Huskers out-played Colorado in final home game, yet is 0-7 ATS after out-gaining foe by 125 or more total yards. Oddly, Nebraska is 15-15 ATS in bowls.
Recent CLEMSON Bowl Trends
* CLEMSON is on a 4-8 SU & 3-8-1 ATS slide in bowl games.
* CLEMSON is 1-6 ATS in its L7 as a bowl game favorite.
* The UNDER has been the winning total in 10 of L12 CLEMSON bowl games.
Recent NEBRASKA Bowl Trends
* NEBRASKA is 4-0 ATS in its L4 bowl games played in state of Florida.
* Favorites hold the edge in NEBRASKA bowl games, 11-3 SU & 10-4 ATS in L14.
* Four of L5 NEBRASKA bowl games have gone UNDER the total.
Prediction: Nebraska 37, Clemson 23
Capital One Bowl
Georgia vs. Michigan State
Michigan State is playing in a New Year’s Day bowl for the first time in nine seasons as they believe they are on the right track to make this annual event. The Spartans were waxed 49-18 by Penn State in their finale, but that’s nothing new and coach Dantonio teams are 9-1 ATS after a loss by 17 or more points. Possibly Georgia could have lived up to the preseason hype of number one if they could have fielded the team they thought they had in July, but injuries took care of any dreams. Coach
Richt teams traditionally have been good away from home, 15-6 ATS playing against a team with 75% or higher win percentage. The Bulldogs are good 15-11 ATS in bowls, with Spartans 5-4 ATS as underdogs.
Recent MICHIGAN ST Bowl Trends
* MICHIGAN ST is 3-1 ATS in its L4 bowl games, all as underdog.
* MICHIGAN ST has allowed 34.9 PPG in its L7 bowl games.
* In its L6 bowl games vs. BCS-conference teams, MICHIGAN ST is 1-5 SU & 2-4 ATS.
Recent GEORGIA Bowl Trends
* GEORGIA is 5-0 SU & 4-1 ATS in its L5 bowl games vs. the Big Ten.
* OVER the total is 4-1 in GEORGIA’s L5 bowl games.
* GEORGIA is 7-1 SU & 6-2 ATS in its L8 non-BCS bowl games.
Prediction: Georgia 39, Michigan State 27