Many people are close-minded towards hip-hop music. They feel it only sends one message and has no room for growth. In actuality, it’s probably the only genre where you can do just about anything and get away with it! Now it is true that most of the top artists use beats from the top producers. That has the recipe for disaster because that can become very boring, but it is also what drives hip hop all together. When people get tired of listening to the same old producers and artists, they look to the new generation to bring in a new era of fresh sounding vibes. This presents the perfect opportunity for you to come out with your unique sound and reinvent what is accepted as hip hop. So I’m going to help you move toward making some good beats that don’t sound like what’s playing on the radio today.
1. The first thing you need to understand is the essential elements that are needed for a good hip hop beat. You need drums, a nice sounding bass guitar, a small but not overpowering sub sound and an ear catching melody with special effects.
2. Now you need to think about what type of beat would like to make. this may sound simple at first but when you sit down and start to experiment with sounds you will find that it’s very hard to focus on just one thing. With so many options and possibilities, you have to decide specifically what result you want to aim for. The magic happens when you create accidentals and bend the rules but there are certain guideline you have o follow.
3. The next thing you need to do is choose what type of drums you want to use. This is the mistake I hear most often with new producers. They throw any type of drums behind the melody and feel as though that is sufficient for the beat. the drums and bass, hip-hop song drives the temporal and overall feel so this Is the most important aspect. You should search far and wide for the best drum samples when choosing your set.
4. You have to make sure that the base flows with the drum pattern. It does not have to play in a synchronized mode but it should have the right feeling that will move the track along.
5. After the drums and bass have a good vibe , you should move on to the melody. Special effects along with warm and gritty synthesizers are always a great place to start. Many people feel that your melody should be catchy but I don’t feel that’s what you should focus on.
If you express yourself in a way where composition pulls upon the strings on people’s emotions, you will get a better result than just trying to make a catchy cliche style song. Songs that are catchy tend to die out or eventually start to annoy people. When making your music tracks you have to make a decision. Being catchy and just like everyone else may give you temporary gratification, but the remembrance of a classic lasts forever.