All happy marriages have one thing in common. A truly happy marriage is one in which both people are committed to making their partner happy. They respect and cherish each other and are prepared to put the other’s needs above their own.
Look at these 10 steps to a happy marriage and put them into place in your relationship. Start to experience the joy, peace and inspiration of a happy marriage.
- Have a date night. A relationship doesn’t grow on its own – it needs time and effort. It is easy in these busy times to get so involved in doing what needs to be done, that you have no time for the most important person in your life. Make the time for each other, hang out with each other and enjoy each other’s company. This is really important to keep the marriage fresh and the relationship green and growing. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you do it together, just the two of you.
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder. You will be a much better partner if you each have your own interests and hobbies. Spending a little time apart, doing your own things, means that you come back to the relationship fresh and with something new to share.
- Be romantic. Remember the little things you used to do for each other before you were married? Did you leave little love notes, or send flowers for no reason or celebrate monthly anniversaries or buy little gifts other than on special occasions? All of these small gestures of love make deposits into your partner’s emotional bank account and what you do, will be returned three-fold.
- When disagreements come…. every couple has their disagreements from time to time; it is only natural. The key is to not let these moments impact on your marriage. So…….
- Don’t argue in front of other people.
- Don’t argue about money.
- Don’t go to bed without making up.
- Leave your spouse’s family out of it – they can insult their family but you can’t.
- Pick your battles. Some things are just not worth the stress of a fight.
- Just because you love someone does not mean you have to like everything they say and do; just choose to love them anyway.
- Be interested. Show an interest in what interests your spouse and be prepared to happily share it with them sometimes. Go to the football or the ballet with them, watch what they want to watch on TV etc.
- Listen. Women like to talk about things that are on their mind, but they don’t necessarily want a solution from their husband. Men often don’t feel like talking when they get home from work. Be sensitive to the other’s needs and be prepared to listen and empathize, or be silent and supportive.
- Acceptance. Your partner is perfect just as they are, and you don’t need to change them. Accept your spouse without any of your own expectations.
- Commitment. Express your commitment to your partner often. Give them the security and comfort of knowing that you are there for the long term.
- Trust. Trust is one of the most important elements in any relationship. Don’t keep secrets, be honest in everything and be trustworthy.
- Best friends. Be your partner’s best friend and treat them like they are yours. Have fun together, lighten up and enjoy each other.