When it comes to celebrating the coming of a new year, we all tend to enjoy a few drinks, a few laughs and try to forget the horrors we may have endured the year we are ending. If you’re trying to comprise a magnificent playlist for your New Year’s Eve party, consider the following songs. Some are celebrations to an end or welcoming a beginning. And, of course, some are just plain great for partying properly!
- “Auld Lang Syne” – The classic. Without this Scottish song in your playlist, you’ll be missing out . Although nobody usually knows the actual words, they’ll pretend and try. There are several versions to choose from, so look around. The title of the song translates to: “times gone by”, thus making it the perfect New Year’s Eve song.
Greatest Line: “Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And never brought to mind?”
- “Jump On It” – Sir Mix-A-Lot – An unforgettable party song. Probably best served after the first few drinks. You’ll find yourself and your friends dancing and singing alongside before the end of the night.
Greatest Line: “They said what’s up? And I said whassup? (We’re going to Houston)/Giddy up U-Turn”
- “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” – Wang Chung – If New Year’s Eve isn’t about having fun, then what else is it about?
Greatest Line: “Everybody have fun tonight/A celebration so spread the word”
- “It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” – R.E.M – Remember when the feeling was slightly real at the turn into 2000? Easily one of the greatest New Year’s Eve party rock songs ever.
Greatest Line: “Uh, Oh, Overflow, Population, Common Group/But it’ll do, save yourself, serve yourself”
- “Dream On” – Aerosmith – This song is perfect for the means to and end (of the year, that is). Just singing along will make you feel better about the misery or destruction that was 2008.
Greatest Line: “Sing with me, sing for the years/Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears”
- “After Midnight” – Eric Clapton – This song should explain itself. Let’s face it, by midnight, you’ll be letting it all hang out and just plain having fun.
Greatest Line: “After midnight, we’re gonna chug-a-lug and shout”
- “Celebration” – Kool and the Gang – Turn those possible 2008 blues into happy shouts for the celebration of 2009!
Greatest Line: “There’s a party goin’ on right here/A celebration to last throughout the years”
- “Red, Red Wine” – UB40 – Grab that glass of wine and let it wash your troubled heart.
Greatest Line: “Red, red wine/Stay close to me/Don’t let me be alone”
- “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” – Bauchman Turner Overdrive – Because, let’s face it, you probably ain’t seen nothing yet!
Greatest Line: “B-b-baby you just ain’t seen n-n-n-nothing yet!”
- “Here’s to the Night” – Eve 6 – Commemorate the good times with the buddies you cherish most.
Greatest Line: “Here’s to the nights we felt alive/Here’s to the tears you knew you’d cry”
- Life Less Ordinary” – Carbon Leaf – A band you may or may not recognize, but a song with a great message. Here’s to living a life full of adventure and a “little less ordinary” in 2009!
Greatest Line: “Live a life less sedentary/Live a life evolutionary with me”
- “Good Riddance” – Green Day – All about enjoying the time you do have. An anthem for looking back and saying you enjoyed it, even if it has to end.
Greatest Line: “Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go”