Who doesn’t like a nice big and juicy hamburger? I personally like to chow down on a big and juicy burger once in a while. In fact, from time to time, I find myself craving a hamburger and apparently I am not alone in my burger cravings. Each year in America, people consume about 40 billion burgers, which amounts to each person eating about 150 of them. Now, it is very important to understand that there is nothing wrong with eating a hamburger or two; however it is important to eat healthy too. Therefore, hamburgers lovers need to be selective in choosing their favorite burger or burgers.
The problem with our love of hamburgers involves what is called the Super Size phenomenon. This phenomenon has been turning our one patty burgers into double burgers and our double burgers into 1,250 calorie triple burgers with cheese. Let’s look at this burger with a bit of perspective; in 1957 a hamburger contained just a bit more than one ounce of meat. In contrast, a burger in 1997 a burger had about six ounces of meat in it. Now, don’t worry enjoying a burger once in a while can still be a guilty pleasure but we must be smart about our burger eating choices. In order for us to do this well, here is a list of some of the best and worst hamburgers in the marketplace today. If we choose to eat healthier hamburgers we could lose between 10 and 15 over the course of a year.
The Worst Burgers
1. T.G.I. Friday’s Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger: This cheeseburger has 1.590 calories, an unknown amount of fat and an unknown amount of sodium. Despite the fact that Friday’s kept quiet about the amount of fat and sodium in this burger, one only has to look at its calories to understand that this burger suffers from bigger is better syndrome. Did you know that T.G.I. Friday’s burgers have an average of 1,250 calories? In addition, Friday’s appetizers are unhealthy too.
2. Red Robbin A.1. Peppercorn Burger: This burger has 1,440 calories and 97 grams of fat. It is also worth noting that there isn’t hardly any burger on the menu that contains fewer than 1,000 calories. This hamburger is a worse culprit because it also has an overabundance of cheese and bacon. On top of these goodies, there is a bed of onion straws between the patty and the bun.
3. Dairy Queen ½ lb. Flame Thrower Grill Burger: This burger has 1, 140 calories, 82 grams of fat, and 3,880 milligrams of salt. Eating this burger regularly will dash your hopes of losing weight because it contains 60 more calories than the Bacon Cheddar Grill Burger.
The Best Burgers
1. Wendy’s Quarter Pound Single
20 grams of fat
870 milligrams of salt
2. Burger King Whooper without Mayo
21 grams of fat
570 milligrams of salt
3. In N Out- Protein- Style Cheeseburger
25 grams of fat
720 milligrams of salt
I like most American’s love to eat hamburgers but some of today’s most popular hamburgers are also some of the unhealthiest hamburgers. Therefore, it is important to find hamburgers that are both delicious and good for us. Luckily, for hamburgers loves everywhere there are healthy hamburgers just waiting to be eaten. This article further illustrates that we can eat the foods that we love without gaining weight.