Alvesco is a unique CFC-free ciclesonide inhaler used to reduce the inflammatory processes within the lungs for asthma patients. It is used as a preventer of asthma and will not help the individual using it if they take it after the asthma attack has started. I am an asthma patient and I have been extremely pleased with the results. When I began the treatment, I was hopeful that my asthma attacks would lessen. When using the inhaler, my lungs feel clear and open. Over the past four months my asthma symptoms of coughing, wheezing, tightness in my chest and breathlessness have subsided. I have not had an asthma attack since October and it has been fantastic!
To understand Alvesco, one must know that it is medication that needs to be taken daily and at the dose prescribed by your doctor. Alvesco is absorbed into the cells of the lung and turns into a steroid. At this point, the medicine helps the cells to fight against the inflammation caused by allergic reactions. Because of the strength of the medication and the side effects, children younger that twelve years of age should not use this medication.
The warnings directly connect to Alvesco include:
– Follow the instructions in the pamphlet describing use and possible side effects.
– Only use Alvesco as a preventative treatment (it does not work to relieve an asthma attack).
– Do not stop using the medication without speaking with your doctor first.
– Inhalers may cause wheezing. If this happens stop using the inhaler. Use your reliever and call your doctor.
– Inhalers may cause a fungal infection in your mouth (oral thrush) To prevent, rinse your mouth after each use.
– Inhaled corticosteriods may cause glaucoma, cataracts or osteoporosis. Take as low of dose as possible to prevent.
– Have blood tests regularly to monitor your potassium level.
– Do not use this for children under the age of 12.
– If you are pregnant or are breastfeeding DO NOT use this device.
I have had two side effects from the medicine. At times I have a bad taste in my mouth. I have also had a cough that leads to a dry throat when I’m done sleeping. These are minor inconveniences when the treatment has been very positive for me. There may be other side effects such as hoarseness, dry mouth, rash, or Eczema. If you are considering using Alvesco to help treat your asthma, speak with your doctor about other side effects that could happen with any other medication that you take.
For those of you that suffer from asthma, I highly recommend Alvesco as a medication to alleviate your symptoms.