This year is soon to be over, and 2009 is approaching. What better way to ring in the new year, than the 4 “F’s:” family, friends, fun, and food? You’ve got plenty of the first three, however I am here to help you with the last “F,” food.
As you throw a New Year’s Eve bash, you’re pretty much overworked from shopping and all that cooking for Christmas dinner. Give yourself a break, and serve simple appetizers for your party. Here are a few ideas for appetizers, to help you along the way.
1. Antipasto platters: Honestly, if you put one of these babies out, that’s large enough, you almost don’t need anything else. You can follow the link to see my idea of a large, diverse, and filling antipasto platter. Basically, this platter of snacks can include anything you want– meats and cheeses, fruits, veggies, and dip, olives and pickles, etc. The possibilities are endless! This Italian snack plate, will surely be a hit at your New Year’s Eve party.
2. Frozen snacks: You don’t have to create from scratch, everything you serve at a New Year’s Ever party. If you don’t want to cook a lot, pick up, in your grocer’s freezer section, things like: mozzerella sticks, buffalo wings, queso dip, pizza rolls, bagel bites, and beyond. These are easy to prepare, as they can either be put in the microwave for a few minutes, or popped into the oven.
3. Pigs in a blanket: This one is a no-brainer. Prepare Bisquick mix in a pastry-style way, roll out flat, cut into strips, and roll cut up hotdogs into them. These are great finger foods for a New Year’s Eve Party, and can be served with ketchup, mustard, and/or anything else you can come up with. Want to amp up those breaded dogs? Wrap some cheese around the hotdog, before wrapping it up in Bisquick mix.
4. Sweet and sour meatballs: All you have to do for this New Year’s Eve appetizer, is purchase two items: a bag of frozen meatballs, and a bottle of sweet and sour sauce, like Keikoman’s. Throw these two ingredients in a crockpot before your party, and have them simmering. Your New Year’s Eve party guests can serve themselves these hot, delecatble treats.
5. Shrimp cocktail: I believe that serving shrimp cocktail at any party, makes it seem a little more elegant. Or maybe that’s the part of me speaking, that just loves seafood. At any rate, you can buy shrimp and cook it yourself, however I have a much easier suggestion. At most grocery stores, you can buy a shrimp ring, which is a round ring of a serving tray, and they come in small, medium, large, and sometimes, extra large. In the middle, is a container of cocktail sauce, even. So, if you’re looking for a little taste of the ocean, in your New Year’s Eve party snacks, try buying one of these to put out.
These are just five great appetizer ideas for your New Year’s Eve party. Please feel free to borrow from me, and be creative and add your own appetizing favorites. Have a happy, healthy, and delicious New Year!