There are numerous amounts of artificial sweeteners out on the market today. But how do you choose which artificial sweetener is right for you, especially if you are trying to eliminate some of those extra calories from your diet? Do you decide on the taste of the sweetener or on the effectiveness of the product? I will list below some different types of sweeteners to help you decide which one might be your best choice.
Listed below are just the basics of some artificial sweeteners that I have found:
1. Stevia – Stevia is a really great sweetener to use, you only need to use a small amount of this product for the sweetness that you want to achieve (I have used this one myself). It has zero calories, its an all natural product. In my opinion this is a very safe product to use. This plant is native to Paraguay and is very sweet in it unprocessed form (sweeter than sugar).
2. Sucralose (Splenda) – Good for cooking. Did you know that sucralose is made from sugar and it taste like sugar but it isn’t sugar (pretty interesting on that fact). Sucralose has zero calories. (I have used this product myself and I do enjoy the taste of it when using it in my tea).
3. Aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal) – It can be used for cooking. This is a good product. It has a good sweet taste and can enhance the flavors of your foods. It can also help in your weight loss. (There is a lot of controversy on this product).
4. Saccharin (Sweet’N Low, Sugar Twin) – Good for cooking. This stuff has been around for a very long time and can also help you in your weight loss goals. (Make sure to do your research on this one to.)
5. Acesulfame K (Sunett, Sweet One) – Good for cooking. This sweetener is used in a lot of food, beverage, and pharmaceutical products today. This one can also be used to help you in your weight-loss program. This product is suitable for diabetes.
6. Agave Nectar – This can be used as an alternative for cooking. I have some of this up in my cupboard and have used it a few times. I am not that pleased with this. I don’t think that it gives the sweetness to my tea that one of the other products listed above gives me. (The flavor on this is alright.)
Choosing to use an artificial sweetener to help you eliminate those extra calories in other foods is a really great idea. However, you still need to think about the other foods you are eating. Just because you add an artificial sweetener to your diet doesn’t mean you will lose a lot of extra weight. When you continue on eating a high fat diet or you are eating a monstrous amount of sugar laden snacks or other foods. Then no amount of artificial sweetener is going to help you lose that extra weight.
Try to eat sensibly with any diet that you take on. Eating healthy is your best choice for weight loss and don’t forget to add in an exercise program for the added benefits. (Try finding a friend who will give you some extra support in your weightloss efforts. This can be a tremendous help in your goals).
There is a lot of controversy out in the public today about which artificial sweetener is safe and which one is not. Don’t just rely on what someones opinion is on a product, make sure to review those products for your self. You can find a lot of resources on the web to help you make that decision from the experts who have done the scientific research on each of the those listed above. (Below are some helpful links to help you get started).