After paying for your club membership to one of the bulk food stores, you are probably wondering, which items are good deals? Based on my own shopping experience I have been able to come up with the following list of items, that may actually be worth buying in bulk. Both Costco and BJ’s will save you money on the items listed below. When they have coupons for these items be sure to stock up.
1. The first item on the list is diapers. You will find that the bulk diapers sold at both of these bulk stores are at least several dollars cheaper, than buying the large box at your local supermarket. In comparison you will end up saving about $2 a box. If you have children you know how every dollar counts and how saving $2 on diapers can add up.
2. Next on the list is cereal. You will find that the cereal options at most bulk food stores do tend to change often. It is best to stock up on your favorite hot and cold cereal when they have them. The total savings with bulk cold cereals is about $1.50 for most. With hot cereals you can end up saving about $3 just by buying the bulk box at your local bulk food store like Costco.
3. Dairy products are next on the list. You will find yourself saving a lot of money on dairy if you buy in bulk. In comparing prices I have found that milk, eggs, and cheese come out to about $2 cheaper at most bulk food locations. Keep in mind that these prices do change often. Usually when the price of milk and cheese go up, the amount of savings decreases only slightly. If however you don’t use dairy items on a regular basis it may be best not to buy in bulk. Remember that you want to use these items before the expiration date.
4. Laundry detergents at your local bulk food store are a huge savings. You will find that most supermarkets now only carry the small bottles with two times the power. The problem is that some of these items don’t seem to have twice the cleaning power like the label states. The end result is that you end up having to buy more bottles. At wholesale stores like Costco you will find the larger sizes and save yourself about $2 depending on what brand you choose. Remember that staying away from the name brand items will save you money.
5. Juice is another item that is best purchased in bulk at Costco or BJ’s. You will find items like apple juice and orange juice to save you between $0.50 and $1.00. When they have coupons for these items at the bulk stores you will save even more. It is always a good idea to stock up on juice when it is on sale.
6. Frozen and fresh meat, such as chicken and fish are defiantly worth buying at your bulk food stores. At Costco I found a savings of almost $3 on the frozen chicken alone. Even the fresh meat was a few dollars cheaper, since you get more in one pack than you do at the supermarkets.
7. Flour and Sugar. You can never have enough of these items in your cabinets. You ill find that buying these items in bulk will save you a few dollars and will last you much longer. The average savings with these items is about $2, by buying at Costco.
8. Snacks and canned goods. You will find that you can save up to $3 on these items when purchased in bulk at your local wholesale store. Both BJ’s and Costco offer great deals on the canned items. They are definitely worth purchasing.
So if you have not chosen to make the switch to a bulk wholesale store like Costco, Sam’s Club, or BJ’s you may really want to consider it. Depending on what you purchase on a monthly basis you may find yourself saving a nice amount of money.