Chicken soup, Vitamin C, and lots of rest are common recommendations for recovering from the common cold. There are some over the counter medicines that work pretty good and people recommend them quite often.
1. Cold Eeze-Cold Eeze is a throat lozenge that reduces the length and symptoms of a cold. According to coldeeze.com, pharmacy studies showed that Cold Eeze can reduce the cold by three to four days and is recommended two to one over Zicam. It has natural flavors and doesn’t contain preservatives.
2. Zicam-There are many products that Zicam has like Rapid Melts, Nasal Gel, Gel Swabs, Oral Mists, and cough spray to name a few. They also reduce the symptoms of a cold and the active ingredient is Zincum Gluconicum. It is non habit forming and doesn’t have side effects.
3. Echinacea-Because Echinacea is all natural, people that have colds don’t have to worry about drugs in their system. Echinacea boosts the immune system and has been used for gingivitis, cold sores, and bronchitis.
4. Panadol-Panadol acts more as a pain reliever and contains Paracetamol and Diphenhydramine. It helps with pain that comes with common colds, flu, arthritis, headaches, and toothaches, plus it reduces fevers.
5. Cold RX-Cold Rx is used by many people because it contains more natural ingredients like Zinc, Echinacea, and Vitamin C which all help the immune system.
In addition to regular over the counter medications there are home remedies that help and reduce cold and flu symptoms.
1. Aches and Pains-In addition to Tylenol, Advil, and Motrin, using a heating pad or taking a warm shower or bath can ease the achy feelings of having a cold. It also helps when having a difficult time relaxing.
2. Stuffiness-There is nothing like having a stuffy nose. You can’t breath very well, it interrupts your sleep, and you sound silly too. Using products like Vick’s Vapor Rub, Menthols, and a Humidifier works wonders when it comes to sinus congestion. There is a warm mist humidifier that is made by the Vick’s Company, that has a little cup where you can put the Vapor Rub in it, which helps open the breathing passages of the nose. In addition to this, nasal sprays that contain saline or standing in the bathroom with the hot water running, will also help you feel better.
3. Sore Throat-Having a sore and itchy throat makes it hard to eat, drink, and even talk. Using cough drops or sucking on hard candy like peppermints will ease the itchies and make the throat feel better. There are also throat sprays that act as a numbing agent.
In some cases a regular cold can turn into a sinus infection which should be treated with prescription medication. Seeing a doctor is sometimes necessary to rule out other things like pneumonia, strep throat, and bronchitis. Catching a cold is really easy but getting rid of it is harder. Taking proper care of your self by drinking lots of fluids and resting will help you recover faster.