You have recently found out that you are about to become a mother or father for the first time. First, let me say congratulations. This is a very exciting time for you. Preparing for the basic needs of your baby can become a little overwhelming as you glide down the aisles of your local Babies R Us. You may find yourself scratching your head wondering if you really need this or that gadget. Although some things sound like a good idea they may not be necessary and can cause quite a clutter build up in your home.
The first thing that you should do before you leave you home is to decide exactly what you “need” for the new baby. It will help to write a list of all the essential things first. It will help if you go online to research the products a little bit so that you can read reviews on what other parents have discovered about these products. Nearly every store will have a review section for each product. May I also suggest that Babies R Us is often a much higher priced store. You can get many if not all of the products at lower priced stores such as Walmart or Kmart .
Now we can move on to listing the things that you will most need for baby when he/she arrives. It may seem like it takes forever to get here but it really is a short nine months. Soon the baby shower will be here and right after that you will be bringing your new bundle of joy home.
Here are some tips of what you will need to add to your registry:
1. Diapers/ – You will have to decide if you want to use cloth diapers or disposable. You could even go half and half on that if you wanted to. Cloth diapers are great if you really want to “Go Green”. Disposable diapers are better for babies when you have to take them to daycare etc.. I am not sure that you will find too many daycares that will want to bother with cloth diapers. You might want to check standards at your local Daycare operators before making this decision. Whatever you choose, you will need lots and lots of these guys between now and potty training. I also suggest that you ask for several different sizes on you registry because babies grow a lot faster than we think.
2. Bottles – Whether you decide to breastfeed or not you will still need bottles. Get plenty of these also. Babies eat a lot. After all, what better have they to do other than look cute as a Dickens? Dr. Brown’s bottles are fantastic. They truly do keep the gas bugs away. Sometimes it pays off in the long run to get the more expensive things. This is one of those occassions. Either that or you can invest a lot more into the next item on this list.
3. Mylicon/ – For those of you unaware of this magic in a bottle, this is gas drops. You will find from time to time that baby gets backed up a little with gas. This can be from the type of bottle that you use or it could be baby just can’t burp for some reason. Whatever the reason, gas back up makes baby quite cranky. Keep this on hand at all times.
4. Baby Bathtubbs – Baby smell so good, don’t they? Not really. They only smell that good after they have had their bath. There are several different kinds of bathtubs that are available today. They even have little tubs that have a thermometer in them so that you can assure the water is warm enough without scolding the delicate skin. Invest wisely, it will pay off.
5. Baby Soap – This is obviously an essential. This includes shampoo also. You need the type that won’t burn the babys eyes when it gets in them. You heard correctly, I said when. It will inevitably happen that soap will get in the babys eyes. Do not try to use adult shampoo/soap on a little one.
6. Baby Monitors – Although this isn’t an absolute must, I felt obliged to add it to the list. A baby monitor is something that will put your mind at ease when you go to sleep at night. You will know the little one is sleeping soundly and you will be able to hear them from your room. This will allow you to sleep better at night and that can’t be a bad thing.
7. Bedding – You will need a crib, sheets and blankets. Sorry, no pillows for baby. It is also suggested that you do not use the crib bumpers so that the crib looks “so cute”. These are a dangerous addition to your babes nursery. Stick with the basics when it comes to putting your child to sleep at night. You may also want to invest in a good bassinet. A vibrating one often helps keep the baby calm and allows them to fall to sleep more peacefully. Don’t forget to add a good mobile so that your baby has something to look at with amazement.
8. Baby Care Kit – These kits are great. It will have everything you need to watch out for your baby. They often include items such as an aspirator (I call it the nose sucker), thermometer, nail clippers, brush and comb, no scratch mittens and a medicine dispenser. You will at some point need all of these things. No new parent should be without one.
9. Pacifier – Many parents fear the use of pacifiers these days. You should have no fear of using one. Baby often need to suck on something but don’t necessarily need to eat. A pacifier can sometimes mean the difference between your becoming completely insane or staying partially sane. As long as you follow your instincts with that babys pacifier you will be fine.
10. Clothing – Your baby will need a lot of clothes. You will find yourself changing your baby several times a day. Keep in mind when choosing baby clothes that you will have to change baby constantly. This means you need to buy things that have quick access. You will also find the use of sleepers essential in keeping the baby’s feet warm. Buy plenty of socks but don’t worry about those adorable baby shoes. They usually don’t stay on the feet too long. You probably think that I am out of my mind. Remember that babys kick a lot. This means that those shoes will get kicked off in the time that you can say boo.
11. Car Seat – This is where you want to go all out. Your child’s car seat can be the difference in their life or death. Read up on car seats even if you don’t read up on anything else. Follow all the safety proceedures. Most police stations around the United States will put the car seat in correctly for you if you fear you aren’t sure of how to do it. It is worth the trip. The great thing about today is that you can buy a really great stroller and the car seat is included.
12. Diaper Bag – This is definitely an essential. You will need a large one. In fact why don’t you just go ahead and get two now. It will avoid you having to run to the store to get another one later. You will find that no matter how big a diaper bag you get, you will always need more room.
The items listed above are absolutely essential for when you bring baby home. I didn’t list everything because that would take all night. However, some of the other items that I would have included in there are baby wipes, baby towels, some kind of really soft cloth for baby to play with, baby Tylenol for those fevers, electric breast pump for mothers who are going to breast feed and a baby play mat. I could go on and on.
Once again, congratulations on the little life that is going to completely change yours. Parenting is a wonderful journey. I hope that I have helped you sort through the huge number of things that you could get for the new baby so that you get what you really need rather than what you think you will need. They are often two very different things. Have a great time preparing and rest up now because before you know it you will be too busy using the above items to realize you haven’t slept more than an hour in over a week.