If you have tried naturally for more than a year to have a baby and you are still trying then its time to consult an infertility specialist. It is six months for those who are 35 years or older. During my self ordeal and the research that went into this, what I have understood is that it’s the first step which is the toughest. The mere thought of consulting an infertility specialist brings so much uncertainty and sadness. No one wants to believe its happening to them. But, its about time that some action is taken.
The most important factor which determines your success is the doctor you are going to consult. Your maximum energy and time should be devoted to make the decision on which doctor you are going to consult.
Factors influencing your decision of the doctor.
1) Try to look for various reviews posted by patients on internet or local magazines.
2) Discuss with friends and ask for reference. They might have faced similar problem or may know someone who had. Personal accounts from others give a boost to your confidence and it saves time .
3) Carefully scan the specialities of various doctors and the facilities in the hospitals they are attached to.
4) There are various websites which give complete reviews of doctors for a nominal charge. It is important that they are board certified and have no federal charges against them.
5) Distance from your home and workplace. Its better to see someone who is within manageable distance from your home and workplace. Infertility diagnosis and treatment requires several visits its better to see a doctor who is not the best but close by than someone who is best but it more than 100 miles away. It saves time and money and causes less stress hence increasing you chance of success.
6) Whether they allow visits on weekends. Sometimes due to the criticality of timing for certain treatment or otherwise you might have need to consult on weekends. Its better to chose those who have this facility.
7) If required do they have all the modern facilities for diagnosis and treatment at the same location? It saves time.
8) COST. If possible before meeting the doctor you should try to get a rough idea of what it costs. Infertility is a specialized stream. Some doctors charge unreasonably high amount by making it more fancier than required. You should try to compare the amount charged by various doctors for the same treatment.
9) Insurance coverage. Infertility treatment is not covered by most insurance companies. Some cover it partially and some cover them for first attempts. It also depends on the state you live in or your employer. Its a good idea to go through the details of the coverage and benefits before going for infertility treatment.
10) Infertility diagnosis and treatments cost a lot of money. Its better to go for a doctor who is in network.
Finally, never assume anything. Infertility specialists have a great knowledge about this .Trust your doctor. Not everyone needs an IVF, your problem might be resolved by a very simple medicine or injection. Always consult a doctor, ask questions and do not take no for an answer. Going through all this requires patience, hard work and positive attitude. Even after taking care of all of the above if you are not satisfied with the approach and analysis of your doctor keep the option of changing the doctor open.
Resources : http://www.asrm.org