Our home is our sanctuary. It is the place we live. Our homes are a reflection of who we are. We add our personal touches to each room, decorating them and making them functional. Our home is not only where we reside, it is also the place in which we raise our children.
I have both a large family, and a large home. When you mix those two things together things can get pretty messy. Luckily there are things parents can do to keep their homes clean. Really, there are five steps to cleaning any home. When you break cleaning chores down into these five simple steps you’ll likely find that it’s easy to keep your home clean.
1. The first step to keeping your home clean it to keep the floors clean. The floors are a focal point of the house. If a floor is not clean the room will not look clean. Get out the vacuum, or the broom and dustpan and put them to use. Once the floors are all clean the home looks and feels much cleaner.
2. The second step to a clean home is to do the dishes. Dirty dishes make the whole home feel less than clean. The kitchen is a main room of the home. The main rooms do affect the way the other rooms in the home feel. A kitchen cannot be called clean if the dishes are dirty. When all of the dishes are clean and the counters wiped down it looks and feels great. That greatness spreads to the other rooms as well.
3. The third step to a cleaner home is to keep the laundry under control. Laundry is a part of both life, and of cleaning. Teach children to put their dirty laundry into hampers. Take the laundry that collects each day to the laundry room. Wash it, dry it, fold it, hang it and put it into piles. The owner of each pile should have the responsibility to put their clothes away. This makes the chore of laundry easier on you. Doing it each and every day means no more laundry scattered or building up. It’ll be done, routinely. It’s a big part of keeping a home clean.
4. The fourth step to keeping your home clean is to invest in a couple more toy boxes. Toys often make up most of the mess in a home full of children. In the rooms where toys seem to be scattered the most place a toy box. It is simple for even young children to toss toys into a toy box. The toys are still there in the room for your little ones to play with and use. The room is clean because the toys are in the toy box when not in use. This little thing can really make a difference in how clean your home looks.
5. The fifth and final step of keeping a home clean is to put things back when you are done using them. Once the floor, dishes and laundry are all done, and the toys are picked up there is really only one other thing that makes a home look and feel messy. That thing is clutter. Clutter accumulates when people get things out and don’t put them back. If you yourself, and your family member learn to always put things back in their places when you’re done using them there will be no more clutter. Thanks for reading and take care!