Urban Legends have been around since the beginning of time. Or so I’ve been told. Some of them are ridiculously funny and some give me the willies. Here are 5 legends that are still popular today.
1. Bubble Yum Bubble Gum – Bubble Yum Bubble Gum was put on the shelves in 1976 but in 1977 there were rumors that the gum contained spider’s eggs. They thought this because people were able to blow bubbles easier and the bubbles were larger than those of other types of gum. Needless to say Bubble Yum continued making the gum and it is still a favorite among children and adults. Although the original is quite sugary, sugar free gum is also available.
2. Envelopes – This is probably one of the most disgusting legends of them all. A woman that worked at a post office in California went in the back of the office to get envelopes. She was licking an envelope and cut her tongue. She didn’t think too much about it and went home. Well her tongue didn’t hurt but it was swelling and after a few days she sought the help of her doctor. Because of the swelling, the doctor decided to do surgery in his office to relieve the swelling. As he made a little cut into her tongue, a large cockroach crawled out. Apparently there were a lot of cockroaches hiding in the back of the office and when they got inside of the boxes, they laid eggs. The eggs got onto the glue of the envelopes and then transferred over to her tongue.
3. Tanning – I was always told that tanning salons aren’t very clean or good for your health. Well this legend goes along with that warning. Supposedly a girl was going to prom and she wanted to get a tan before the big party. After her tanning session, she went home and realized that she didn’t get as tan as she wanted. So she went back to the salon and decided to tan for an hour longer. On the night of the prom she made her way to the dance floor and she suddenly fell on the ground and died. When the medical examiner filed his report he said that her internal organs had been overcooked.
4. Over Sized Pets – Disney World is a favorite vacation spot and with so many families traveling to see the big mouse it isn’t a surprise that they want to bring back a few souvenirs. Legend has it that when they were in Florida they fell in love with the baby alligators so they brought them back home to raise them as pets (most of the pet lovers were from New York). When the alligators were no longer babies or cute, they lost their desire to keep them so they would flush them down the toilet. Well the alligators supposedly survived the flush and lived in the sewer and continued to grow up to 40 feet.
5. Monkey Man – In New Jersey a monkey like beast was supposedly roaming the streets of Hoboken terrorizing the kids. The police department brought together a task force to catch the “Monkeyman” but they weren’t able to find him. He is still spotted walking down Washington Street.
I’ve never been one to be caught up in Urban Legends but they are funny and quite interesting to hear.