Some of the worst problems of Christmas relates to not being organized. There are many things that you can do now that will make things easier next year. Following these tips will help you get organized after Christmas and will make next year a pleasure when you get out your decorations. These extra steps might cause you a little time right now, but it will make things go more smoothly next year.
1) When putting your delicate Christmas ornaments up for the season make sure to wrap each one in tissue paper or even toilet paper. Do not use newspapers because if moisture gets into the box the ink could stain your ornaments.
2) Instead of throwing your Christmas decorations all in a box take the extra time to store them correctly. Wrap your lights each set at a time using bread ties or rubber bands to secure them together. If the set is especially long, tie off sections at a time then tie the bundle.
3) To make sure that your ornaments do not rub together which would cause them to break, make sure that you put plenty of cushioning between each ornament for storage. I bought a couple packages off cheap dish rags that I use to wrap my ornaments with.
4) It is best to use separate boxes for each types of ornaments. I have a box for lights, another for ornaments, another for outside decorations and another for my other Christmas items. I also have each box labeled so I know exactly what I am getting. I have also found it is better to use totes such as Rubbermaid totes opposed to card board boxes. I do not have to worry about someone putting something on top of the totes and crushing them like with cardboard boxes. It also protects them from mice and moisture.
5) To make sending out holiday cards next year, easier because you have he addresses on hand of everyone who sent you a Christmas card last year, I save the envelopes from the cards I receive in a box so the following year I just pull these envelopes out and I have the addresses I need.
6) The day after Christmas stores have all their holiday supplies on sale at least marked down by 50%. Stocking up on Christmas wrap, ornaments and lights while they are so cheap not only saves you lots of money but it also gives you one thing you do not have to worry about next year.
I hope these getting organized after Christmas tips help you as much as they have helped me over the years. I would rather take a little extra time after Christmas getting things put away neatly than to be in a foul mood before Christmas because I spent forever detangling lights and throwing out broken ornaments.