So your teen daughter has told you she has gone Emo. First you are a bit worried, not knowing what Emo is. Emo is of course short for Emotional. If your daughter is into bands such as My Chemical Romance she is probably Emo. If she likes strange haircuts, that look more like geometric patterns, she is probably Emo, although some Emo girls still love the long, over straightened hair. If your daughter is into poetry with heart wrenching verses, she is probably Emo, If your daughter wants to dye her hair purple, pink or blue, she might be Emo. If you have dubbed your daughter as the drama queen, she just might be an Emo. According to the drama queen in my house, the in word now is Scene, which is almost Emo. Go figure! Don’t worry though, it is just a phase, like our 70’s bell bottoms and Fleetwood Mac , or the 80’s leg warmers and U2. The ultimate question for this time of year is what do you get your Emo daughter that will fit into her new lifestyle and that won’t drive you crazy or go against your values? Here are a few suggestions, and some have been a success with my daughter, who really is a combination of Emo, Punk, Goth, 60’s hippie, preppie – well you get the picture. My daughter has created her own unique style. Here area a few suggestions for that perfect gift for your Emo daughter.
1) Temporary tattoos. This is an excellent gift idea for your Emo daughter. It also helps if you are not sure if you want her to get a real tattoo or not. I have found that the best places to buy temporary tattoos are at Hot Topics and Spencer’s. Spencer’s has some questionable material for young girls, so you might not want your young teen daughter in the store while you pick her temporary tattoo.
2) Hair Dye. Believe or not, you will be a big hit. My daughter is allowed to temporarily dye her hair twice a year, basically because hair needs to rest in between dying and also becuase she has to work for her hair dye. She has to make good grades or do certain chores. We have tried burgundy, deep red, and the famous dark blue color that quickly turned into grey . It is tricky to find colored hair dye. We have found it at Hot Topic ,Walmart and even Walgreens. But be sure to get the temporary in case dyed hair is a no no at her school. That way, after about ten washings, her hair will be somewhat back to normal coloring.
3) Books. Of course Twilight is a big hit. For parents who are a little squeamish about vampires, you might want to skip this book. Chances are your daughter has already read all of the books in the series. Another popular book for Emo’s is White Oleander by Janet Fitch. But be careful. Many Emo books deal with depressing life events. I think an excellent book that I read and considered Emo but with a message was The Road by Cormick McCartney . Although it deals with a twelve year old boy, it is a perfect book for a young teen wanting to delve into issues of life and values.
4) Cd’s, but you must know what the hit groups are now days. Be sure and pick groups such as Paramore, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance , Fall Out Boy and Hawthorne Heights. None of these groups are really hard core depressing Emo, except for maybe Paramore. Be sure and ask the clerk at your local Cd store about the newest Emo bands, particularly if the clerk has tattoos and dyed hair.
5) Last but not least, if you want to buy clothing, Emo girls love Avirl Lavines new line of clothing at Kohl’s called Abbey Dawn. Also, you can buy the Skelanimals line. I have seen Skelanimals at Hot Topic, Kohl’s, and Rue 21. They also have a web site where you can buy Skelanimal clothing.
Maybe these few suggestions will help you in choosing the perfect Christmas gift for your Emo or Scene teenage daughter. Just remember, the less we as parents make out of phases in our children’s life, the quicker it will fade. Maybe buying an Emo gift or two will help the phase pass faster. Us parents can only hope!