Starting a business is challenging enough, but finding and reaching your target market/s or audiences can be even more of a hurdle. Firstly you need to decide who your target audience or target market is, then you need to work out how you will reach them!
Here are a few things to consider when finding out who your target market is: and how you can go about reaching them:
1. Are you targeting a local, regional or national market/s.
2. What is your business idea.
3. What and who is your competition.
4. What ideally is the age/s you will be targeting.
5. Where do your target market shop?
6. What media do your target market/audience read/buy or view?
7. Is it a seasonal product or service that your are offering?
8. What is your budget for reaching your target audience?
9. How are you going to reach your target audience, through the internet, through print media, through radio adverts, printed adverts and so on.
Finding and reaching your target audience or target market can be done on a shoestring budget so long as you undertake some research. Find out where your market is and what they respond to, do this and half the battle will have been won.
Reaching your target market is the second thing you should do after finding out about them. Here are a few steps you should follow to achieve success.
1. Undertake market research, use both primary and secondary research, find out what they read, watch and listen to.
2. Collate your market research results, then test out and trial your business, its products and services on a small sample of your target market. Find out what works and what doesn’t.
3. Find out prices and so on for all the types of media your target audience use and take notice of, draw up a budget and timescale for the channels, methods of marketing and advertising you will use to reach your target market.
4. Create a marketing plan and a marketing plan for your business, products and services, will you launch everything all at the same time, or will you drip feed products and services to your target market? All of this should and must be considered to enable you to come up with a workable marketing plan and budget.
5. Decide how you will measure your success and results, how will you find out what has been successful and what has not.
I hope you have found this article helpful and useful. Remember that researching, finding and target your target market/audience will not be easy but if it is done correctly you will reap the rewards several times over.
Good luck I wish you every success.