Studies for interior designers should include a subject on depression relieving program. The interior designers should be educated on the manner in which the home should be designed and decorated so that it soothes the mind of the depressed patient. It is a challenging job but not impossible.
Course curriculum of interior designers specializing in depressed patient care should include:
1. The definition and introduction of depression.
2. Knowledge of different types of depression
3. A draft of the probable expectations of an average depressed patient
4. Learning the art of interaction with the depressed patient
5. Process of understanding and implementing the expectations of depressed patient with regard to home
6. Being an ongoing researcher in the field of different aspects and colors, designs and forms that can be applied to a house to soothe the depressed patient
7. Ability to interact with the clinical psychologist and to apply theories to practice with consultation
The interior designer shall be required to interview the depressed patient. The depressed patient will let know his likes and dislikes, the desires and dreams, the favorite colors and curtains. What brings a smile on his face? How much he enjoys worshipping God? How he loves to pass his time? How well furnished or rich look he adorns? How he enjoys an uninterrupted view from a window? How long has he been living in the old style of design in home? Is he attached with the old fashion or loves change? And many, many more queries…
After receiving complete information of the mind set of the depressed patient, the designer should decide for another meeting with the depressed patient. In this meeting she should confirm that there have been no changes in the preferences of the depressed patient and whether he is still having the same inclination.
After three meetings on the same subject of information collection, the designer should begin her work of interior designing. It should be noted that the interior designer’s studies should be spread over a period of atleast one month. Also, if there are any changes in the preferences of the depressed patient then these changes should be correlated to the change in the severity of depression of the patient. The interior designers shall be required to work in close collaboration with psychologists and psychiatrists.
If the patient is suffering from severe depression and is from a well to do family then designing a house especially keeping in mind his likes and dislikes can certainly help. However, this option is not feasible for the people suffering from poverty as well.