“I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.” – Psalm 3:5 NIV
Who decided to wake us up this morning? To tell you the truth I never made that decision. Yes I set my alarm to wake up at 3:00am EST so I could get an early start on the site, but that alarm did not make that decision. My mind was unconscious during my nightly rest, it did not say I will live another day. Our Father Who is in Heaven made that decision for me at 3:00am EST this morning and for each and every one us still breathing this moment.
How often do we recognize this fact that Our LORD decided we should rise to live another day. Just over the weekend I read of two legendary African-American entertainers, Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes, who were not graced with life for another day. Life is a gift and it is a gift that is sustained by the LORD through his grace, mercy, and love. Unfortunately, a lot of times we take this gift for granted rarely if ever acknowledge that it is by God’s grace we are still alive.
I know for some life may be rough and hard going at the present moment, but if we are granted to live to see another day we get to experience God working in and through us. Had God decided to not sustain my life as early as January 2008, I would not have Christ’s redeeming love, peace of mind, nor the joy of working with God through this ministry. Just the simple fact that God allowed for me to live long enough to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior is enough for me to be eternal grateful and thankful.
Each day we are gifted with life is another chance for us to do the following:
1. Believe in our hearts that Jesus died for our sins and rose again and confess with our mouths that He is Lord. (Romans 10:9-10)
2. Study God’s Word so we can show ourselves approved unto Him. (2 Timothy 2:15)
3. Continue to mature spiritually and have the opportunity to receive gifts from the spirit. (I Corinthians 12:8-11)
4. Be a working, living, breathing member of the Body of Christ. (I Corinthians 12:12)
5. To store up treasures for ourselves in heaven for the works we perform here on earth. (Matthew 6:19-21) (I Timothy 6:18-19)
6. Finally, we are given another chance to teach the gospel. (Matthew 28:19-20)
Of course we have a multitude of opportunities to obey, honor, praise, and work with God. This is why we need to recognize that it is God, by His grace, that sustains our very lives! So right now, say we should take an example from King David and thank God for his grace and mercy and praise Him.
“Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!” – Psalm 150:6 NASB
© ShawnTe Pierce