My least favorite part of the holiday season is the inevitable white-elephant gift exchange. I like to consider myself a creative person with a great sense of humor, but I can never come up with a good white elephant gift idea for under ten dollars. I decided to think about it this year and make a list of the top ten easy to do white elephant gift ideas. Here is what I came up with.
1. Lottery Tickets. Those scratch off tickets that you will probably just be wasting your money on are an easy way to throw down ten dollars and walk out with a white elephant gift. Done and done.
2. Gift Cards. Another easy option, just go into your local Starbucks or Target and grab a ten dollar gift certificate and call it a day.
3. Wino Bag. If you are having an exchange with those over the age of twenty-one you might just want to grab a bottle of wine off your wine rack and wrap it in a brown paper bag tied with string. The perfect wino gift that will get a chuckle or two, and depending on the crowd will have a few people clamoring for your present.
4. Dollar Store Delight. Go to the dollar store and grab a few fun items such as hot chocolate and a few mugs. This is great because it is a gift people will actually want and use. Who doesn’t like a few treats for the holidays. Place these items in a basket you found at the dollar store and you are done.
5. In Case Of Emergency Kit. Grab an old shoe box and wrap it with a brown paper bag tied with a red string. Place a tag on it that says open in case of emergency. Before closing the box put a few items in it. They can be funny such as a pack of cigarettes and a lighter as well as a can of beer, or actual emergency items such as a flashlight, bandages, and a sewing kit. It’s up to you.
6. Bath and Body Works. Yes it is easy and a no brainer. Walk into bath and body works and buy a small gift kit or a few candles. They will wrap them in a pretty bag and you are done.
7. Chocolate. I know I have already mentioned chocolates, but they go over so well. Go to the drugstore and grab a gift box of chocolates, even better get a variety of high quality chocolate bars from an import store and wrap them in a pretty ribbon.
8. Calendars. Buy a fun or funny calendar and give that. Some ideas might be Happy Bunny or a few kitten calendars, or you can get a firemen calendar or some pin-up models if you are feeling a little wild.
9. Spencers. Stop into Spencers and buy something wild like edible underwear.
10. Donate to Charity. Sure probably not the best white elephant present someone would want to receive, but honestly I would rather have someone present me with a ten dollar certificate saying that they have donated to ASCAP rather then a mug with white snowflakes any day. Go online, donate, and print out a certificate, put it in a nice envelope and you have done something nice and fulfilled your white elephant requirements.
I hope these ideas help. I know that there has to be something in that list that will work for you. Happy holidays.