Valentine’s Day is a perfect time to create a beautiful shimmering red heart centerpiece! This project can be completed with several items you have around the home, including a clear glass vase and a stick from your own backyard.
For this project, you will need:
– Clear glass vase that is fairly large (available at craft supply and floral supply stores)
– Soap and water
– Paper towels
– Fine grit sandpaper
– Tack cloth or other soft cloth
– Large stick or branch (available in many backyards or at floral supply stores)
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Cherry Red
– Krylon Leafing Pen in Shimmering Red
– Fine tipped permanent marker
– Three inch heart shaped stencil
– Masking tape
– Red florist jewels (available at craft supply or floral supply stores)
– Newspaper or large drop cloth
Cover your work area with a few sheets of old newspaper or a large drop cloth. Wash a clear glass vase with soap and water. Dry the vase well with paper towels, making sure there is no moisture on the surface of the glass. (Moisture will cause problems with paint adherence.) Gently sand the outside of the vase with medium grit sandpaper, using just enough pressure to scuff the edge of the glass. Wipe away any dust on the surface with a tack cloth or other soft cloth.
Turn the vase upside down on your work area. Coat the entire outside of the glass with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Dry for three to four hours before painting the vase with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Cherry Red. Allow the paint to dry for two hours before adding a second coat. Let the vase dry overnight before proceeding.
Apply a piece of masking tape around the top of the vase, approximately two inches from the top. Paint the exposed area at the top of the vase completely with Krylon Leafing Pen in Red Shimmer. Dry for two hours before adding a second paint. Adhere the heart shaped stencil to the side of the vase. With a fine tipped permanent marker, trace the shape onto the vase. Remove the stencil and fill in the design with the leafing pen. Dry for several hours before removing all masking tape.
Place the large stick onto the work area. Prime the wood with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White and dry for several hours. Paint with two coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Cherry Red. Dry overnight.
Fill the vase with red florist jewels. Insert the stick into the jewels and enjoy.