Coming to San Diego, California on vacation whether with children or not can be a daunting trip with so much to see and do. There are lists that abound on the world wide web of things to do and to see, but here is a list complied of the must things to do and see while vacationing in San Diego. The weather is almost always sunny and the temperatures comfortable. No snow except in the mountains and one of the few places you can enjoy the beaches even during winter. Pack you bags, bring your sun block and make sure you have plenty of smiles and laughs to last. Included in this list are the official websites to help find out about prices, shows and special events to help one plan their trip.
1. San Diego Zoo. www.sandiegozoo.org – The world famous San Diego Zoo sits on three acres offering a global day trip to see over 4,000 animals which represents 800 species that inhabit the world that surrounds you. It is one of the largest and most elaborate zoos in the states. It offers bus tours and a sky tram to get you from one part to another. The zoo’s history spans over 90 years and is still going strong and growing.
2. San DiegoWildAnimalPark. www.sandiegozoo.org – The big brother of the San Diego Zoo sits on 1,800 acres and offers 3,500 animals from 429 species get up close to see lions roam and antelope play. This wild life preserve offers habitats from Africa and Asia.
3. Sea World. www.seaworld.com – 200 acres of land and sea. Home to the famous Shamu and Clydesdale Horses. Come experience the life of sharks, seals and penguins while taking in such shows as Shamu, dolphins and sea lions. Relax on the sky tram or sky tower while enjoying breathtaking views of San Diego.
4. Legoland. www.legoland.com – 50 plus rides, shows and attractions. Brings out the child in anyone and is a must for those who enjoyed Legos as a child. Wander through cities and attractions made entirely from Legos and see how many of the fun little whimsical things the creators put to be found.
5. ReubenH.FleetScienceCenter. Wwwrhfleet.org – One of the cornerstones attractions in Balboa Park. Enjoy 100 plus interactive exhibits. Take a ride on the simulator and enjoy a show at the theater that will take one’s breath away. For the small children they have a kid city where the young ones can play and learn at the same time.
6. OldTown. www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com – Learn how San Diego was founded infamous missions and haunted locations. The North end of town has the museums and missions while the South end have the shops and restaurants. After your stroll, relax in one of the two parks that surround Old Town and be taken away to a peaceful place even though you are only moments away from downtown.
7. Harbor Excursion. www.sdhe.com – See San Diego from a view on the bay. Take a one or two hour cruise and see San Diego’s naval bases, submarine base as well and Cabrillo National Monument and the shipyards. The cruise is narrated so you will not miss out on anything including the Star of India.
8. Birch Aquarium. www.aguarium.ucsd.edu – Enter the world of sharks, seahorses and coral reefs. Take in 60 plus exhibits while you touch tide pools and unravel mysteries of ocean, air and life.
9. BelmontPark. www.belmontpark.com – Beachfront amusement park with the historic wooden rollercoaster the “Giant Dipper” which was built in 1925 and restored. The coaster still thrills today even in this day and age of high tech gear. The park also has bumper cars and a carousel as well as other thrill rides and games. All located just out of reach of the ocean.
10. Miramar Speed Circuit. www.miramarspeedcircuit.com – satisfy your need for speed at this indoor quarter mile racetrack. Each kart has the capability to reach speeds of 40 mph while it electronically records your lap times. Fun for anyone who can reach a pedal.
Though there are many, many things to do in San Diego, these ten places are a must for anyone who travels to San Diego in order to take in the full experience of fun that this city has to offer.