I have been estranged from all political arena since President John F. Kennedy was murdered; I have been grieving not only my fallen hero JFK but frustrated in being unable to find my place as a human service worker, an independent voter, educator, tax payer, and voter. This past campaign was gut wretching for me as I searched politicans voting records and life style and I basically did not make a decision of who to vote for until I was standing in the line outside the polls.
I had 3 preferences of candidates; and two possibilities from each party, that I felt in my heart and with much forethought would be the best bi-partisan to bring our people back to the pride, enthusiam, and dedication of what we stood for the people not campaign slogans. I truly wanted to know, see, and trust the equality, liberty, and pursuit of our dreams that my Native American, African, German, Scot/Iris ancestors believed in; the same as I trusted in JFK.
I made my final choice as I read the names on the ballot and chose Pres. Barrack H. Obama. Now it is time for me to stand up and take my personal responsibility to answer his and First Lady Michelle Obama’s call for National Service. I reviewed all the possibilities on websites, local papers, and assessed the needs of Americans. The following promises, committments, and services are my American answer to their call:
1. I will stop the pettiness and childishness I have used to critize polictians and those who support them.
2. I will be kinder, more devoted, and service Americans as a volunteer so they can read and write.
3. I will help my children, grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren to understand their responsibility for service.
4. I will celebrate all the unsung heroes who do not make the “news” with their calls to service.
5. I will make my own life healthier and less stressful through nurtition, sleep, and prayer.
6. I will stop wasting energy by learning how to recycle everything I can.
7. I will only buy American made products.
8. I will be a student centered educator guiding Adult Learners to their creativeness and service.
9. I will provide donations for America’s wildlife survival and stop polluting and destroying American land.
10. I will provide a helping hand to teach others how to help themselves
Thus I will then be proud of myself as I renew my promise to JFK and all Americans to be a helpful American instead of the greedy distant voter of my past.