The season is over. Here is my final ranking for the 2008-2009 College Football Season. After week 15 plenty of football action occurred in the Bowl Games. The Florida Gators are my National Champions and the BCS Champions. The Gators beat Oklahoma in the National Championship Game 24-14. The Utah Utes made their case by finishing undefeated and beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl 31-17. USC provided an excellent argument as well by defeating Penn State in the Rose Bowl. The Texas Longhorns finished 12-1 by beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. TCU and Boise State proved they deserved to be in BCS Bowls instead of the Poinsettia Bowl. Ball State lost their last two games to fall out of the rankings. Oregon State, Missouri, Florida State and California all played their way into the Final Rankings.
1) Florida (13-1) beat Oklahoma 24-14 in the BCS Championship Game.
2) Utah (13-0) beat Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl. They are undefeated, they won 13 games, and they beat a great Alabama team. The Utes play in weaker conference but wins against Oregon State and TCU look pretty good.
3) USC (12-1) beat Penn State 38-24 in the Rose. The PAC-10 came alive during in the Bowls. USC had one of the better BCS match ups. The Trojans made their case they belong near the top.
4) Texas (12-1) beat Ohio State 24-21 in the Fiesta Bowl. The finish with one lost and they did beat Oklahoma. A thrilling win against Ohio State not enough compared to what the teams ahead of them did in their Bowls.
5) Oklahoma (12-2) lost to Florida 24-14 in the BCS Championship Game. The Sooners played a great game in the BCS Championship game. The game was closer than the final score shows. The Gators defense stopped them near the goal line twice. The Gators blocked a field goal. If the Sooners would have scored on any of those three possessions the game could have gone the other way.
6) Alabama (12-2) lost to Utah 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl. After winning 12 straight Alabama finishes the season with two losses.
7) Penn State (11-2) lost to USC 38-24 in the Rose Bowl. Penn State had a great season however they ran into a USC team which made a statement.
8) TCU (11-2) beat Boise State 17-16 in the Poinsettia Bowl. This game looked like a great match up when it was announced and lived up to it when it was played. These two teams made strong cases that perhaps they should have been meeting in a BCS Bowl.
9) Boise State (12-1) lost to TCU 17-16 in Poinsettia Bowl. One point is the only thing separating Boise State from being undefeated. The played in a good match up in their bowl game. The Broncos show they deserve their rankings.
10) Ohio State (10-3) lost to Texas in the Fiesta Bowl 24-21. Ohio States three losses came to USC, Penn State, and Texas. The Buckeyes almost upset Texas in Fiesta Bowl.
11) Oregon (10-3) beat Oklahoma State 42-31 in the Holiday Bowl.
12) Georgia (10-3) beat Michigan State 24-12 in the Capital One Bowl.
13) Texas Tech (11-2) lost to Mississippi 47-34
14) Virginia Tech (10-4) beat Cincinnati 20-7 in the Orange Bowl
15) Mississippi (9-4) beat Texas Tech 47-34 in the Cotton Bowl
16) Iowa (9-4) beat South Carolina 31-10 in the Outback Bowl.
17) Oregon State (9-4) beat Pittsburgh in the Sun Bowl 3-0
18) Cincinnati (11-3) lost to Virginia Tech 20-7 in the Orange Bowl.
19) Oklahoma State (9-4) lost to Oregon 42-31 in the Holiday Bowl
20) Pittsburgh (9-4) lost to Oregon State in the Sun Bowl 3-0.
21) Missouri (10-4) defeated Northwestern 30-23 in Overtime in the Alamo Bowl.
22) Michigan State (9-4) lost to Georgia 24-12 in the Capital One Bowl
23) Northwestern (9-4) lost to Missouri 30-23 in overtime in the Alamo Bowl
24) Florida State (9-4) beat Wisconsin 42-13 in the Champs Sports Bowl.
25) California (9-4) beat Miami 24-17 in the Emerald Bowl.