Christmas is generally viewed as being a time for families, gifts and food. In my family, music is a constant fixture in any family celebration. We are a very musical family with fairly ecclectic tastes. However, in the midst of our sometimes odd music selections, we all have favorite Christmas songs that tend to be more traditional. Here, I have listed our top 10 favorite Christmas songs.
1. The Twelve Days of Christmas – When my daughter was young, one of our favorite Christmas traditions was to try to remember, and sing, this entire song. We used to laugh every time we messed it up! We still do this at least once a year. All of the various versions are on our favorite lists. Whenever we hear this song, we giggle and are forced to sing it.
2. The Little Drummer Boy – This one is a favorite song for both myself and my husband for different reasons. My husband really loves the David Bowie version and the way that he sings it. He loves to listen to that version. For me, I love the pa rum pa pum pum. I sing it under my breath all season long. Whenever it comes on the radio or we hear it in a store, I just can’t help myself. It is an addictive song.
3. Winter Wonderland – This is my daughter’s favorite Christmas song of all time. She sings it at the top of her lungs whenever it comes on and will go out of her way to stop and listen whenever she hears it. This is “her” song with her grandmother. To me it is a fun, frolicking song that just really points out some of the joys in the season.
4. Deck The Halls – I can’t think of any person that I know that is able to listen to this song without singing along. It reminds me of my childhood and singing in the school chorus. It also makes me want to decorate my home and bake cookies! I always try to make sure this song is playing when we are putting up our Christmas tree.
5. Silent Night – So many Christmas songs are fast paced and jolly, I sometimes feel that the beauty of the season is overlooked. Silent Night is one of those songs that always makes me stop and just close my eyes and listen. It seems to translate the peace and joy of Christmas directly into my soul.
6. Gloria in Excelsis Deo – Pure glory and honor. Even if you are not overly religious, this song is a testament to faith and joy and hope. This song always reminds me of midnight mass on Christmas Eve and rejoicing in the meaning of the season.
7. It’s A Holly Jolly Christmas – True, happy wishes for a happy Christmas. This song wraps the feelings of the season up in a red snappy bow. And it definitely reminds me of Rudolph!
8. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause – This song just brings back so many memories of Christmas when I was a child. It makes me smile every time I hear it. The crazy anticipation of Christmas morning, the wonder of Santa and the silliness of this song all make me grin.
9. Silver and Gold – This is my favorite song from the Rudolph Cartoon. I cannot stop myself from singing this whenever I see anything silver or gold anytime anywhere even near to Christmas. Actually, I even sing it in the summer. It drives my family crazy.
10. Frosty the Snowman – Who can resist Frosty?
Whatever your favorite Christmas songs are, I hope that your Christmas is jolly, happy and wonderful!