Even though we’re still a little more than a month off from the end of the year 2008, apparently now is the time to start reminiscing on the past months, and recount our favorite things from the year. Here is my personal top ten favorites list.
1. American Idol: This is the first season of American Idol that I’ve watched religiously since season one, when my sweet Justin Guarini lost to that horrible Kelly Clarkson. I think I was even more impressed with this season, than I was with the first. From the very beginning, I picked David Archuleta as my favorite. I mean, come on… he sang a John Mayer song for his audition, and later on in the season, he sang a John Lennon song. I also had other secondhand favorites, such as Brooke White, Carly Smithson, and of course, everyone’s favorite hippie contestant, Jason Castro.
2. Season 7 of Gilmore Girls on DVD: Last year, my husband bought me seasons 1-6 of Gilmore Girls, for my birthday. Excitingly, season seven came out before Valentine’s Day of this year, and he bought it for me. Since I never watched the show in it’s first run, I hadn’t seen season seven (they still haven’t re-run this season on ABC Family.) My husband and I watched all the seasons from every episode together, to the very end.
3. Saw V: A recent addition to my top ten list, this movie was amazing. I had never seen any of the Saw movies until the spring, when my friend, Chris, introduced me to them. After getting past the initialy gore, I became hooked. I went to see Saw V the week after it opened, and it was pretty unbelievable. It was one of the most complex Saw movies, and I couldn’t believe how it ended. It’s truly left me hungry for more. I am so curious!
4. Associated Content: I’ve enjoyed writing since I was even able to. I got out of it for a while, due to laziness. Then, my friend, Tara Meacham, who has always been a supporter of my writing, introduced me to Associated Content. When I first started on the site, I only wrote a few articles here and there, writing political op-eds, to voice my opinion and piss off conservatives. In the past couple of months, my article count is up to over 60 articles, and I am enjoying myself immensely. There’s nothing like seeing yourself published, even if it’s not national or anything.
5. Barack Obama: I had the amazing opportunity to work locally, for Barack Obama’s Presidential campaign. From the time I served as Chapter Coordinator for Liberty University Students for Barack Obama, to just talking to, and informing friends and family members, it was all worth it, even losing friends. All my efforts, and the efforts of others, paid off, and Barack Obama is going to take office on January 20, 2009, as the 44th President of the United States.
6. Hillary Rodham Clinton: Even though I did not like her during the primary season due to her mudslinging at Barack Obama, I grew to really like Hillary, because she graciously stepped down, and moved that Barack Obama be the Democratic nominee for the 2008 election, in a very classy move at the Democratic National Convention. Then, she rallied behind him and called for unity in their party, to get him elected. I was very impressed with this all.
7. Project Runway: Since I started watching this awesome show at the end of last season, when Christian Siriano won, I have been hooked. This season was nothing short of fabulous. Even though I was extremely disappointed that love-to-hate, bratty Kenley Collins got to go to Bryant Park for New York Fashion Week, it was fun to watch this show every week. Also, I was surprised, but happy, to see Leanne Marshall win, even though I would have picked Suede or Jerrell.
8. Ghost Hunters: Even though most of my favorite episodes are from seasons that have passed, the TAPS team pounded out a few of my favorite episodes this season, including the one that really got me shaking in my boots, Ghostly Conversation.
9. Buffalo Wild Wings: I went to this restaurant several times this year. The most memorable was in September, for my 24th birthday. I enjoy the food and booze a lot! Their boneless wings with the Hot BBQ sauce, paired with a tall Yuengling is just what the doctor ordered. Throw in some good friends, and you’ve got yourself a party. I also really enjoyed watching some of one of the Yankee games there this season.
10. Yankee Candle: This store just opened a location in our local mall, River Ridge Mall, back in the summer. Before then, I had been buying all my candles at Wal-Mart. One stop in this store, and I fell in love. I had to get all my favorite fall scents, and now, Christmas scents.
As far my top ten list, I think I have seen and experience a plethora of favorites this year. Come back next year, and I am sure I will have a favorites list for 2009.