My wife likes to use our antique chairs for a stepladder. I don’t even like to sit in them. They are over 100 years old and seem unstable. Sure, they look nice and they match our antique dining table, but I won’t use them very often. She tends to pretend they are brand new and made from steel. So as she reached up onto the top shelf of our pantry, her foot smashed through the top of the seat. She wasn’t hurt thankfully, but our chair was effectively broken. The seat split in two places and broke free from the frame of the chair.
So I was in charge of fixing the chair. I was fresh out of wood glue so it was time for a trip to the local home improvement center. I browsed through the aisles of glue. Past the caulk and epoxies, and finally onto the wood glue. Normally I buy cheap wood glue, it works just as well as the rest, or so I thought. Since I am a sucker for trying new products, I decided to try some Gorilla Glue. I had seen it on all of the commercials, but I had yet to try it. I picked up a small bottle of Gorilla Glue and a large bottle of brand wood glue, just in case the Gorilla Glue was no good. I cashed out at the register of my local home improvement center and went home to my workshop to fix the chair.
I settled down into my cozy little workshop and began to read the directions on the Gorilla Glue bottle. It required wetting the areas to be glued with a damp sponge or wet rag. It seemed a little unusual and out of the ordinary for wood glue. I immediately became skeptical. So I dampened the broken chair along the split and began to apply the Gorilla Glue to the area I needed to repair. It didn’t take much glue. I pressed the pieces together in my clamps and set it aside to review the directions on the bottle of Gorilla Glue. It said after a few minutes the glue would expand out of the cracks and might need to be cleaned off. That was the understatement of the year. Not only did it expand out it squished out everywhere. I had to watch it for about a half hour to make sure I kept it clean. After a while, I just gave up and let it dry for a few hours.
After about four hours, the Gorilla Glue was dry. It had puffed out of the crack. I used a small sharp chisel to remove the dried excess Gorilla Glue that was coming out from the crack. It came of very easily with the wood chisel. I found out after gluing a few other projects together that this is the way to do it. Let it dry and scrap of the excess Gorilla Glue. Now I needed to test the strength of Gorilla Glue.
I gave the chair seat my strength test. I tried to break the chair seat. It held to my surprise. I reattached the seat to the chair and stepped on it. It held very well. I was shocked. This was the strongest wood glue I had ever used. Immediately, I found other projects to fix with the Gorilla Glue. It was awesome. Everything I used it on was fixed. I soon found out that it worked on about any type of material also. Ceramic, plastic, concrete, metal, it all seemed to work so well. I rarely am that impressed by any new product, but I found that Gorilla Glue was really a great product and I will never switch back to any other wood glue again. I even took back the large unopened bottle of off brand wood glue to the home improvement center.