Click on event name for direct link to information page.
– Jan 1: Salute to Vienna : Christian Schulz conducts Lívia Galambos (soprano), Valeriy Serkin (tenor), and the Strauss Symphony of America… with dancers from the Vienna City Ballet. Copley Symphony Hall in Downtown.
– Jan 18: Free concert at Central Library (3rd Floor): Odyssey Tango: Violinist Alan Busteed is accompanied by a piano, a cello, and a double bass in performance of pieces by Rodriguez, Berto, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Gershwin, Arlen, et.al.
– Jan 9: Hutchins Consort does music by Tchaikovsky, Vlatkovich, and Walczyk at the Neurosciences Institute in La Jolla. Call (949)675-6010 for info.
– Jan 9-11: Jacobs’ Masterworks Concert: Beethoven’s Triple Concerto at Copley Hall; featuring Jessie Change (piano), Jeff Thayer (violin) and Carter Brey (cello). Jahja Ling conducts the San Diego Symphony Orchestra and San Diego Master Chorale.
– Jan 11: La Jolla Music Society (LJMS) presents the violinst Augustin Hadelich
at the Neurosciences Institute.
– Jan 14: Beethoven Recital by Anne-Marie McDermott, Jahja Ling, Jeff Thayer, Jisun Yang, and Yao Zhao at Qualcomm Hall in Sorrento Valley. On the program are Beethoven’s piano sonata #5, violin sonata #14, and the Archduke Trio.
– Jan 16-18: Beethoven piano concerto #1, symphony #4, and Overture to Leonore at Copley Hall. Anne Marie McDermott is the solo pianist.
– Jan 20: San Diego Winds’ Inaugural Concert of Holst, Williams, Bernstein, Gershwin, Reed, and Maslanka at Balboa Theater in Downtown.
– Jan 21: Free lecture at Central Library: San Diego Opera Insights – Dr. Ron Shaheen of the UCSD music department discusses Puccini’s Tosca.
– Jan 24: LJMS presents the Venice Baroque Orchestra at Qualcomm Hall.
– Jan 24, 27, 30: San Diego Opera presents Puccini’s Tosca at Civic Theater.
– Jan 25, 27, 28: Classics4Kids does Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition with pantomime at Balboa Theater.
– Jan 25: Camarada does romantic music of Chopin, Liszt, Schubert, Bizet, et.al. Also reading of love poetry by Shakespeare, Cummings, Rilke, and Rumi. Call (619) 231-3702 for more info.
– Jan 28-29: Superheroes of the Orchestra is an educational event at Copley Symphony Hall designed to introduce young folks to the members of the orchestra.
– Feb 1 (matinee), 4: San Diego Opera presents Puccini’s Tosca at the Civic Theater.
– Feb 1: Free concert at Central Library: Chanson du Soir (Evening Songs): Soprano Chelsea Camille and guitarist David Isaacs perform songs by Dowland, Bach, Villa-Lobos, et.al.
– Feb 6: Hutchins Consort does music by Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Paul Lloyd Warner at the Neurosciences Institute. Call (949) 675-6010 for more info.
– Feb 6-7: Silent Film Night at Copley with the SD Symphony under Gillian Anderson playing music from the classic 1925 film, The Phantom of the Opera.
– Feb 9: Amadeus 2009 Gala at Paradise Point Resort in Mission Bay is a promotional event for the Mainly Mozart organization. A black tie event with a piano/violin concert by Jon Kimura Parker and Aloysia Friedmann.
– Feb 10: Russian National Ballet does Tchaikovsky’s Swanlake at the Balboa Theater.
– Feb 11: Free lecture at Central Library: San Diego Opera Insights – Dr. Ron Shaheen discusses Massenet’s operatic take on Cervante’s Don Quixote.
– Feb 13: LJMS presents Olga Kern piano recital at Sherman Auditorium in La Jolla.
– Feb 14: Music for Lovers Valentine’s Day at the Pop at Copley Hall. Matthew Garbutt conducts romantic classical numbers at Copley Hall.
– Feb 14, 17, 20, 22 (mat): San Diego Opera present Massenet’s Don Quichotte (Don Quixote) at Civic Theater.
– Feb 16: The Westwind Brass does brass music from the eras from Beethoven to Brubeck at the Neurosciences Institute. Call (619) 501-3562 for more info.
– Feb 20: LJMS presents the Munich Symphony in concert at Copley Hall.
– Feb 21: LJMS presents Itzhak Perlman violin recital at Copley Hall.
– Feb 26: Dvorak’s Serenade in E major with Jahja Ling and SD Symphony at Copley Hall.
– Feb 26-28, Mar 1: Yefim Bronfman performs Brahms’s 2nd piano concert and the SD Symphony performs Mendelssohn’s Hebrides and Dvorak’s E major serenade at Copley Hall.
– Feb 28: California Ballet presents Coppelia at the Civic Theater.
– Mar 6: LJMS presents Hélène Grimaud piano recital at Sherwood Auditorium.
– Mar 7: LJMS presents Leipsig Strings Quartet at Sherwood Auditorium.
– Mar 8: Irish Spectacular with Regina Nathan (soprano), Peter Tuite (piano), with Derek Gleeson conducting The Dublin Philharmonic at Copley Hall.
– Mar 13: Quatuor Amedeo Modigliani chamber music concert at the Neurosciences Institute. Call (858) 534-8497 for more info.
– Mar 13-15: Brahms’ German Requiem and concert arias by Mozart and Schubert at Copley Hall. Jahja Ling and the SDS with Janice Chandler-Eteme (soprano), Stephen Powell (baritone) and San Diego Master Chorale.
– Mar 14: LJMS presents Cyrus Chestnut Trio at Birch North Park Theater.
– Mar 15: Free concert at Central Library: Cecilia String Quartet: Sarah Nematallah, Min-Jeong Koh, Caitlin Boyle, and Rebecca Wenham perform Haydn’s Sunrise Quartet (op.76, no. 4) and Dvorak’s Quartet no. 13 in G major.
– Mar 17: LJMS presents Alexei Volodin (piano) with Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra at Copley Hall.
– Mar 20-21: Pops Goes Jazz Bebop at Copley Hall, if you will. Nikki Yanofsky is accompanied by Marvin Hamlisch and the Jazz Ambassadors of the US Army Field Band.
– Mar 25: Free lecture at Central library: San Diego Opera Insights – Dr. Ron Shaheen discusses Verdi’s operatic take on the Shakespeare play, Rigoletto.
– Mar 27: LJMS presents Imogen Cooper piano recital at Sherwood Auditorium.
– Mar 28, 31: San Diego Opera presents Verdi’s Rigoletto at the Civic Theater.
– Mar 29: Free concert at Central Library: Family Concert Courtly Noyse: John Cassaboom, Laury Flora, Penny Hawkins, Vickie Jenkins, Jay Sacks, and Sandra Stram perform songs from the Renaissance period with demonstrations on reproductions of period instruments.
– Mar 29: Camarada Baroque Bonanza. Music by Telemann, J.S. Bach, Rameau, Locatelli, Vivaldi, and others. Call (619) 231-3702 for more info.
– April 3, 5 (mat), 8: San Diego Opera presents Verdi’s Rigoletto at the Civic Theater.