ABC News reported that people who eliminated certain foods from their diets had reduced or eliminated their symptoms. It could be a link to certain proteins in certain foods, or an increase in cholesterol. Here is a list of the worst foods that can increase headaches, acid reflux, and arthritis.
1. tomatoes- Dr. Felice Sussman is a gastrointestinal specialist and director of research at Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York. Sussman says that tomatoes and tomato-based products promote heartburn because they affect the lower esophageal sphincter. The sphincter has an abnormal relaxation that allows the acid content of the stomach to splash back up into the esophagus. Since it is hard to substitute a tomato , the doctor suggests not eating close to bedtime and propping yourself up in bed at least at a 15 degree angle.
2. citrus fruits- The most common are oranges, grapefruits, and lemons. The high acid content causes the pain. It also causes the sphincter to relax too much.
3. bacon- Bacon may be the cause of arthritis pain. Eating this high fat food may form the intestinal substances responsible for inflammation. The substance is called arachidonic acid. This acid is converted to prostaglandins and leukotrienes, pro-inflammatory agents. Turkey bacon is a good substitute with only half the calories and no saturated fat.
4. eggs- Eggs contain the same pro-inflammatory agents as bacon. This inflammation can lead to more swelling and joint pain. Many doctors believe there a direct link between eggs and increased inflammation. It is estimated that one large white egg has 63 percent fat and one third is saturated fat. If you remove the yolk of the egg, you will remove the saturated fat. Egg substitute is an option. A one quart serving is equivalent to two medium eggs and has no fat.
5. cheese- Almost 70 percent of calories in cheese come from saturated fat. This is known to raise a person’s cholesterol, setting the body up for inflammation.
6. soda- Sodas are the most consumed beverages in this country. Statistics show that it contributes to about 10 percent of calories in this country’s diet. The average can of soda has 136 empty calories with 33 grams of sugar, which can lead to obesity and joint pain.
7. chocolate- In moderation, chocolate is said to relieve headache. Yet too much can bring on a headache. It contains a chemical called phenylethylamine. Too much can affect concentration and cause chocolate hangover. Dark chocolate has twice the caffeine as regular milk chocolate.
8. wine- Even though too much wine can give anyone a headache, some people can handle any amount of wine. It will bring on a serious headache, some nausea, and flushing. For some, symptoms can come on within 15 minutes of taking a first sip.
9. processed meat- There is nothing good about processed food. These are high in fat and cholesterol. The National Cancer Institute reported in December 2007 that high consumption of processed m eat could put people at risk for many cancers. Lunch meat, hot dogs , and sausages have chemicals such as nitrites. These associated with increased inflammation as well as chronic disease due to trans and saturated fats.
10. junkfood-Being loaded with saturated fat, a 1 ounce bag of chips contains around 155 calories. These have been associated with increased arthritic pain.