It’s almost 2009 but before 2009 gets here, we must review some of the best and worst events of 2008. Some of the best and worst events of 2008 have happened in people’s lives and some of the best and worst events of 2008 we heard about on the news and read about on the internet or in the newspaper. In addition, people who watch reality television shows saw some very bad, and sometimes awkward, moments on these shows. While there were hundreds of bad and/or awkward moments on reality television; here are the five worst reality television moments of 2008.
1. Jason’s Rejected Marriage Proposal on The Bachelorette: The fourth season of the Bachelorette should have been subtitled, The Awkward Season. Anyone who watched this show saw single dad and all around nice guy Jason Mesnick get down on his knee to propose to DeAnna Papas only to be rejected. This is one of the worst reality television moments of 2008 because of the sting of humiliation that both Jason and the audience felt as he was allowed to get down on his knee only to be brought back up so DeAnna could break his heart. Now, we all had our heart broken; however it was very wrong for DeAnna to let Jason get down on his knee knowing full well that that she was in love with some one else. Nobody likes to have their heart broken; especially not on national television.
2. Recycling a Challenge on Project Runway: The fifth season of Project Runway began the same way the series originally began five years earlier. It began with a challenge that involved making an outfit from grocery store items. This is one of the worst reality show moments of 2008 because having the contestants on Project Runway repeat a challenge that was already done shows a lack a lack of both creativity and innovation. Project Runway should get a get a fashion violation for forgetting that creativity and innovation is what made it one of our favorite reality television shows.
3. Cloris Leachman on Dancing With the Stars: My hat goes off to Cloris Leachman for appearing on Dancing with the Stars; she is 82 and she should be proud of herself for making it as far as she did on the show. However, Cloris Leachman on Dancing with the Stars is one of the worst reality television show moments of 2008 because watching her dance was very awkward . In addition, some of her dance moves were a bit questionable. In addition to her dancing some of her comments were awkward as well.
4. Alpha Jay, Beta Jay, and Tyra Bot on America’s Next Top Model: I like this show but did it have to start its season with a scene right out of a science fiction movie. Mr. Jay, Jay Manuel, and Tyra Banks sized up the 33 semi-finalists for America’s Next Top Model looking like creatures from another planet. This is one of the worst reality television moments of 2008 because both Jays they looked bleached out and sickly and Tyra looked nothing like herself. The show is very good and creative on its own. It didn’t need some weird stunt to get ratings.
5. Two Boyfriends at Once on The Bachelorette: Yes, both Jason and Jesse should have been and probably were nervous about meeting DeAnna’s whole family; however their nervousness and anxiety probably rose exponentially when they realized that they were at DeAnna’s house at the same time to meet her whole family. This is one of the worst reality television show moments of 2008 because having two boyfriends meet your whole family at the same time is just plain weird.