If you’ve ever had an emergency due to one of your kids being ill, schools closing due to inclement weather, or some other situation, you have probably felt stressed. After all, emergencies do happen but as a work at home professional, you still have deadlines to meet and you still have the demands of children. Well, in this article, I will provide you with tips on handling your workload when your kids are home. Let’s get started.
1. Seek backup childcare. Perhaps you can arrange for a babysitter to come over and hang out with the kids for a bit. If this isn’t possible, you could arrange a play date with another parent or ask a friend or a relative to come and watch your kids for a certain period of time so that you can get some “focused work” done. In return, you could then offer to take their kids for a certain period of time so that they could complete a task.
2. Don’t try to do too much. The biggest frustration is trying to get too much done in one day. When you have the kids at home, it is unrealistic to think that you’re going to get all of your work done. Instead, choose the most important tasks and complete them first. Then, if the kids
3. Work in spurts. Work for 1-2 hours and then hang out with the kids for 1-2 hours. During your kid time, make sure that you give them concentrated time so that they won’t feel slighted.
4. Delegate your projects. Sometimes you just have to learn to delegate your projects. A good option is to outsource the work to another telecommuter so that you can spend more time with your kids. There are many good freelancing sites like guru.com, elance.com, rent-a-coder, mturk.com where you can get some great help.
5. Keep them busy. Figure out age-appropriate activities that they can do for short periods of time that will keep them busy and pay at the same time. For instance, you can have a “movie date” where you put on their favorite movie while they watch their favorite cartoon.
6. Hire your kids to help you. If you have older children then you can pay them to help you with your business related tasks or to watch the older ones under your care. For instance, you can give them x amount of dollars in order to keep their young sibling occupied while you get their work done. With this suggestion, you may want to work in a nearby room so that you can handle any issues that surface.
In conclusion, working while your children are at home, isn’t always easy but it is certainly doable. By following the above mentioned tasks, you will be able to effectively handle your kids needs and still meet your client’s deadline.