With the holidays, along with the New Year approaching, we have so much to look forward to. I have to admit, 2008 has been a great year for many reasons, including those that are musically related. As a huge music enthusiast who believes music is as important as a language, I have decided to narrow down the many good and great songs to only the top 10 most brilliant and best songs of 2008.
10. Keeps Gettin Better by Christina Aguilera. I like this song because it demonstrates Christina’s more creative side, that one wouldn’t expect. It’s more synth pop with a hint of trance effects, something you wouldn’t expect from the soulful powerhouse. As the first single by Christina Aguilera off of her latest greatest hits album “Keeps Gettin Better – A Decade Of Hits”. Although this was released in September of 2008, it remains to be one of the hottest songs of this year.
9. I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry. Katy Perry is one of the most original, eclectic artists in the business. I have respect for her because she is care-free, but still manages to make great music. Inspired by the magical beauty of women, Katy Perry created a hit that has made the top 10 list of 2008. Although this song received great criticism, it’s ability to attract a dopamine that is practical, proves it’s strengths exceed it’s weaknesses, making it one of the best songs of 2008.
8. No One by Alicia Keys. I don’t know about you, but I love Alicia Keys. Her voice is very natural. She doesn’t try hard and she sounds fantastic. Her music is great and one thing is certain, you either get it or you don’t. This song is a fun song by her that actually possesses a hidden meaning that just about anyone can relate to. Released in 2007, this song didn’t receive great recognition until 2008, making it one of the hottest songs of the year.
7. Damaged by Danity Kane. I remember hearing this song in the car for the first time and thinking “this song is awesome” and then I heard it in a club and I thought to myself “I keep hearing this awesome song, who sings it?” It wasn’t until a month after it’s release, I found out it was by a new band created by Pdiddy called Danity Kane. Released in January of 2008, this song proves why it is one of the best songs of 2008.
6. The Time Of My Life by David Cook. Performed by American Idol sensation David Cook and sung from the soul, this amazing song continues to prove why it is one of the best songs of 2008.Written by Regie Hamm and Daniel Coursey, this song is an up-tempo ballad that is about David Cook’s journey and speaks volumes of his career and how he went from a struggling musician to a musician that inspires others. This song has been used in an array of programs, including the 2008 Olympic Games.
5. Lollipop by Lil Wayne. Lil Wayne is a great rapper. Why? Because he is a poet that knows how to collaborate words and music, without drawing the line. He is deferential and diverse and knows what people want. The song lollipop is not just a song that provides your ears with great material, it is a fun song. This song features a collaboration with the late Static Major and was released in March of 2008, this song proves why it is one of the hottest songs of the year.
4. Monsoon by Tokyo Hotel. With the essence of Poison and Cinderella and the musical styling of Chester Bennington and Linkin Park, Tokyo Hotel has become a world-wide sensation. Although this amazing song was released several years ago, it wasn’t until 2008 that the song achieved great fame. It is a song that speaks of great meaning and is the reason why Tokyo Hotel continues to win multiple awards. If you haven’t heard Monsoon by Tokyo Hotel, the time is now to listen to it now because it is one of the hottest songs of 2008.
3. Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis. Have you ever heard a song that possesses all of the elements to a close to perfect song? Although nothing is perfect, Bleeding Love is fairly close. This song includes lyrics that include a deep meaning that cannot be explained, as the music is fun and enjoyable. Also the rythmics are top of the line. Although this wonderful single was released in 2007, it didn’t achieve fame in the United States until 2008. Written by musical genius Ryan Tedder and performed by X-Factor sensation Leona Lewis, this is one of the best songs of 2008.
2. All Summer Long by Kid Rock. Say what you want about Kid Rock, but the man is a musical genius and this song proves just that. Released in April 2008, this song proves why it one of the best songs of 2008. Inspired by Lynrd Skynrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Warron Zevon’s “Werewolves in London” this song is a musical masterpiece which features a neo soul rock jam featuring bridges of the two classic tunes. You either love this song or you hate it, but one thing is certain that no one can deny, this is a masterpiece that is socially accepted by music enthusiasts around the world, making it one of the top songs of 2008.
…and the hottest song of 2008 is…
1. Apologize by Timbaland featuring One Republic. The time is now and I have saved the best for last. Although a lot of the credit goes to Ryan Tedder, for constructing a song with so much depth and meaning, a lot of credit also goes to another great musical innovator, Timbaland. This song is one of those songs you could listen to forever and just not get tired of it. Everything from the lyrics to the music is as close to perfect, making it a song that will be played for generations to come. This brilliant single was released several years ago and become a huge hit last year, but was played radically this year, making it the hottest and best top song of 2008.