The Mayo Clinic recently announced that many North Americans have something called “sitting disease” (source). Doctors at the clinic report that our modern careers of office-bound desk jobs mean we lead overall more sedentary lives. For example, the average office worker who sits at a desk to work only takes 5,000 steps a day. In the past, the average American took four times that amount of steps (source).
What does this mean for you? If you work in an office like many North Americans, you are robbing your body of exercise. If this office job isn’t combined with extra exercise and physical activity, you’ll undoubtedly gain weight. If you are currently on a diet to lose a few pounds, an office job may make it more difficult to achieve your weight loss goals.
In this health and fitness article, I’ll show you six simple ways to boost your weight loss while working in an office. This diet information is priceless for those who find themselves working at a desk at anytime during the day. Incorporate these weight loss tips into your personal diet plan and watch your weight loss jump!
Weight Loss and Work: How To Lose Pounds at the Job
There isn’t really a term as working to lose weight. This article is all about how to avoid weight gain when working. People working in office find it a hard to achieve weight loss at work because they are always sitting down, not exposed to sunlight thus less possibility of sweating. Allowing yourself to always sit down is really not a good example for weight loss at work, but you can adopt helpful tips for you not to gain weight when working.
1. Focus on your job. Even if it is lunch time or break time, do not hurry things and leave your job unfinished. In this way you can manage your eating habits as well as your assigned work task.
2. From time to time, drink water. Don’t substitute your thirst from eating foods. Sometimes we feel we are hungry but actually we are thirsty. Drinking water is also a good example of losing weight; therefore you are now one step ahead to weight loss at work.
3. Do a little exercise by taking some walk. If your workplace is strict in going in and out the building, make use of your lunch time to do some exercise. Little walking can help you somehow in weight loss at work. Instead of using the elevator, use the stairs in traveling from one floor to another.
4. Get enough sleep. Sometimes when we are overly loaded of work, we don’t get sufficient sleep causing us to eat much and gain weight, thus contributing less on achieving weight loss at work.
5. Eating is not a solution to your problems. If you are stressful and depressed don’t put yourself to emotional eating. We may not notice it but there are times that we can’t control eating as a result of certain problems we undergo. This way we gain much weight and it doesn’t even do away with our problems. Ask someone to help you on your problems if you need advices.
6. Lastly, eat the nutritious foods or less-calorie foods than those high in calories. A little regulation on the foods must be properly planned because usually the office canteen has limited foods to choose from.
Achieving weight loss at work could be crucially hard especially to those who are spending their entire hours sitting. Discipline is needed for workers in this manner. Know how to manage your eating habits, have enough sleep and do frequent exercise to avoid stress leading to emotional eating.