Working at home can be rewarding and enjoyable, for a lot of people probably yourself included it could and can be a dream come true! BUT! Don’t be fooled it is not all lazy days spent working in pyjamas and working when you feel like it.
Downsides to working at home can include stress, timekeeping and organisation to name but a few. SO, how do you go about ensuring your workspace and home space are kept separate. How do you successfully go about working at or from home.
Here are a few top tips and handy hints to get you started:
1. Clear out a space, or if you are lucky enough to have a spare room then clean this out, either way the area you have just de cluttered will now be your new office, or workspace. You don’t want any distractions, you don’t want anything hanging around that is going to put you off your work.
2. Tell friends and family what hours you will be working and when you will be working. Tell them you will not be able to be contacted say from 8am to 4pm everyday with the exception of emergencies.
Put a DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door or around your workspace and make sure people know not to disrupt or interrupt your working day.
3. Organise all of your chores. While working from home, you may sometimes feel the urge to act or feel like you are in fact at home lounging about, or worse you could end up feeling like you should be doing household chores instead of working. Please do not fall into this trap. Instead, set aside time every day and every week to do household tasks and chores. Work out a schedule both for you and other members of the household, get them to help you out. Delegate tasks, do chores, cleaning and so on in out of office/work hours and not a moment sooner.
4. Take regular breaks. Take breaks from your work, you would if you were in an office, and it is not a crime! Have a coffee break, take a walk, do some exercise and so on. Take breaks and come back feeling refreshed and energised. Work smarter not harder.
5. KNOW WHEN TO STOP. Because you work from home you might find it some what harder to actually stop, relax and turn off. Even though it is hard to separate work from play you must do it for your own health and sanity so please make this separation. It is essential in creating a work life balance.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN WORKING FROM HOME:
1. You might find it harder to motivate yourself as you will be the only one who is pushing you to achieve, make money, find and complete jobs/work.
2. Take regular exercise it will help you become more productive.
3. Learn to say NO, to people, friends and so on just because you are working from home it doesn’t mean that you will have the time to meet chat with and spend time with everyone.
4. Remember that you are responsible for your workload. You will have no boss telling you what to do and when. So stand up and take action and accountability NOW!
Good luck with working from home and making — earning extra income. I wish you every success.