My friend, Tara Meacham, had the idea for us to start our own writing prompt blog, so other people with writer’s block can visit our page, and find things to write about. We have not yet started our blog, but I thought I might test some waters here. This is my fourth writing prompt idea, and response.
Writing prompt: What are your top 10 favorite songs right now, and why?
1. “Hand in my Pocket” by Alanis Morissette, because I feel like it pretty much describes the way I am, and how I feel, to a tee. It shows the contrast in how I feel from day to day, like being broke, but still being happy, and being poor, but still being kind. And in the end, it’s all alright, because even though I haven’t gotten it all figured out, it’s alright, and in the mean time, I’m chill.
2. “Waiting on the World to Change” by John Mayer, because honestly, like a lot of people, I am sick of what’s going on in the world, full of evilness and corruption. However, unlike this song’s theme of being young and useless, I feel like the youth are the future, and we can change the world, starting with this recent election.
3. “Imagine” by John Lennon, because it really is nice to envision a world without borders of hate, caused by religion, money, and possessions. This song makes me think of me and the handful of friends I have, that like to shun hatred, and promote peace.
4. “Keep Watch for the Mines” by Dashboard Confessional, because it reminds me of the drama-filled people that I know. The song reminds me of how you have to watch out for the people who will back stab and betray you in an instant, even though they’ll get their just desserts someday.
5. “Come On” by Jeff Fiorello, because it’s one of those perky-get-up-and-start-dancing songs, that just make you feel good. It’s also one of those songs that you want to sing the lyrics to, at the top of your lungs.
6. “No Such Thing” by John Mayer, for the same reason as Jeff Fiorello’s song. This song reminds you to question reality, and what, exactly, normal is.
7. “Gentlemen” by mewithoutYou, because it’s always been one of my favorite songs since like 2004. It’s one of mwY’s songs that make you want to sing and rock out. I also love it because Aaron Weiss’ line “….and you better be alone…” gives me goosebumps.
8. “Revolution” by The Beatles, because this song rocks out, with a message. It’s about, I think, government, wanting to change this, that, and the other thing, but all they’re looking for is help, and spreading destruction– a theme, I think, we’ve still seen in present-day America.
9. “Run Rudolph Run” by Chuck Berry, because it’s Christmas, and we’ve all got to have a favorite Christmas song. Whenever I play Christmas music, I put this one on repeat a few times, because it’s fun to sing and dance to.
10. “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses, because it’s not your typical Christmas song. It’s got a funky beat to it, and it’s also fun to sing and dance to.
These are my top 10 favorite songs at the moment. What are yours?