My friend, Tara Meacham, had the idea for us to start our own writing prompt blog, so other people with writer’s block can visit our page, and find things to write about. We have not yet started our blog, but I thought I might test some waters here. This is my sixth writing prompt idea, and response.
Writing prompt: What are your top 10 favorite TV shows right now, and why?
1. Gilmore Girls. As I’ve said many times before, I never watched Gilmore Girls in its first run, however, I have watched the re-runs on ABC Family, and have acquired the whole series on DVD. This is my number one favorite, because it’s full of drama, romance, and comedy. It really captures the small town charm of Stars Hollow, which reminds me of my own town.
2. Top Chef: New York. I have been watching Top Chef from its first season, and I am really excited every time a new season comes around. I admit that I didn’t get too into it last season, when they were in Chicago (mainly because there were a bunch of arrogant, drama-filled asses on there.) However, there seems to be a lot of level-headed, eager, talented chefs this season. I also like that they incorporated European chefs, as well as more chefs from the LGBT community, to show some diversity. I really like, too, that one of their challenges, so far, was making Thanksgiving dinner for the Foo Fighters.
3. Project Runway. Even though the last season is over, and Leanne won, I am still watching re-runs of Project Runway. This past season wasn’t my favorite, even though I am glad that bratty Kenley didn’t win. The previous season was my favorite, when Christian Siriano won. Season 4 of Project Runway is on my Amazon wish list.
4. Ghost Hunters. A lot of my friends make fun of me for it, but my eyes are glued to the TV on Wednesday nights at nine, when a new episode of this show comes on. There are a lot of paranormal investigation shows around, but I think the TAPS team does it with professionalism, and doesn’t make paranormal investigation look like a sport for whack jobs.
5. Secret Life of the American Teenager. I wasn’t sure if I was even going to like this show at first glance, but I became interested in watching it by the time the second episode rolled around. After one season, I am stoked to see a show that depicts some of the realities of high school, and not just a fairy tale land where a group of twenty can break out into perfect song and dance.
6. Paula’s Best Dishes. I’m a Southern girl, so I love Southern cooking. Paul Deen is the textbook definition of a Southern cook. She cooks up the best dishes, with that special ingredient– love. That, and a whole lot of butter!
7. Family Guy. Even though it’s been on for years, and I don’t exactly follow the seasons, I watch an episode of Family Guy everyday, or at least every other day. It’s always good for a good laugh. My favorite part is all the pop culture references. I about died during the time machine episode, when the Nazi uniforms had “McCain/Palin” buttons on them.
8. That 70’s Show. This show is long-gone, but I still really like watching my favorite gang from Wisconsin. I catch the re-runs about once a week. I always enjoy Michael’s stupidity, and Hyde’s sarcasm. I didn’t follow the seasons of this show either, but I still love the re-runs.
9. Degrassi: The Next Generation, I know, I know… I’m not a teenager, so why am I watching high school shows? I’ve been watching this show from the first season, and even though I get lost sometimes, with all the new characters and twists and turns, I am addicted to the drama. They’ve tackled so many issues, from homosexuality, to eating disorders, to STDS. It’s good to know that a Canadian show will tackle stuff that American shows are afraid to.
10. Tabatha’s Salon Takeover. I haven’t seen this one on in a while, probably because the season ended. However, even though I am not a hairstylist myself, my uncle is, so I know what goes on in the salon business, and how some of the salons on this show do a horrible job. It is so fun to see funny, and sometimes bitchy, Samantha, go in and turn everything around. My favorite part is the renovation.
These are the top ten of my favorite TV shows. What are your favorite shows to watch?